JOE Anyinsah scored on his Charlton debut five minutes from time to earn three points against Notts County.

But the real hero was keeper Rob Elliot after the Addicks stopper used his legs to save Lee Hughes’ 74th minute penalty.

Miguel Llera was dropped to the bench following last week’s last minute mistake which gifted Exeter their penalty.

Gary Doherty was partnered in central defence by Matt Fry and Phil Parkinson had further options in this position because Jonathan Fortune was also named as a substitute.

The Addicks were on the attack from the kick off and Pawel Abbott saw his shot deflected behind inside 20 seconds, with Gary Doherty heading just over from the resultant corner.

Simon Francis maybe went to ground a bit too easily under a challenge from Krystian Pearce after breaking through on goal in the seventh minute.

Charlton were denied what appeared a blatant penalty on 14 minutes when Doherty tried to get on the end of a free-kick but despite Graeme Lee having his arm around the defender’s neck, the referee saw fit to allow play to continue.

Ben Davies blasted a free-kick over the bar midway through the half with what was County’s first notable effort on goal in what was turning out to be a scrappy opening.

Abbott headed over after Paul Benson’s shot was pushed into his path by County keeper Stuart Nelson, although the linesman had already raised his flag for offside.

However, Notts County should have taken the lead in the 33rd minute when Davies’ cross picked out Kevin Smith but his goal-bound header from six yards was blocked by Doherty’s head for a corner.

As Charlton attempted to clear the danger from that corner, Reid was dispossessed by Jon Harley and his curling shot from 30 yards had to be pushed behind by Elliot.

Elliot did well again to parry Craig Westcarr’s dangerous low 42nd minute delivery across the face of goal and fortunately for Charlton the loose ball fell to Jose Semedo instead of a County player.

Hughes missed a sitter when he fired wide from Westcarr’s cross with the goal at his mercy but the linesman appeared to have judged he was offside so any ‘goal’ would have been ruled out anyway.

Lee Hughes should have put the visitors in front on the stroke of half-time when he got on the end of a long punt forward from Nelson but the striker fired his volley over the bar before Lee Martin headed just wide from Jackson’s cross at the other end.

The opening 45 minutes was a largely forgettable affair and it came as no surprise when Phil Parkinson opted to replace the anonymous Alan McCormack with Therry Racon at the start of the second half.

Charlton had the first opportunity after the interval when Benson headed into the side-netting from Reid’s 47th minute cross.

Francis’ 52nd minute free-kick was handled by a County player in the wall, resulting in another free-kick being awarded 10-yards further forward right on the edge of the area.

However, the Addicks were unable to capitalise on the chance as Reid stepped up to fire a low shot straight into the wall.

Martin’s 58th minute free-kick was also deflected behind for a corner by Ricky Ravenhill before Fry’s ambitious 35 yard volley sailed wide.

At the other end, an unmarked Smith placed his header straight at Elliot after being picked out at the back post by Davies.

Jackson then saw a shot blocked by Neal Bishop as the game swung from end to end, Reid fired over after beating two County defenders and then County had a penalty appeal denied when Racon appeared to use his hand to block a shot.

Charlton had Benson to thank in the 73rd minute when he was ideally placed to clear the danger from Lee’s header.

But the visitors were presented with a glorious chance one minute later as Fry sent Davies crashing to the ground as he bore down on goal and County were awarded a penalty.

Fry received a yellow card for his sins but he had Elliot to thank after the keeper used his legs to save Hughes’ spot kick, much to the obvious delight of the Valley faithful.

Benson made way for debutant Anyinsah and then Westcarr blazed over in the 79th minute before Parky made his final switch by throwing on Akpo Sodje for Abbott.

His decision to introduce Ayinsah five minutes from time paid off when the new boy was picked out by Martin before placing a low shot beyond the reach of Nelson and putting Charlton in front with what proved to be the winner.

It wasn’t pretty but who cares?

Charlton: Elliot, Francis, Fry, Doherty, Jackson, Reid, Semedo, McCormack (Racon 46), Martin, Abbott (Sodje 83), Benson (Anyinsah 76). Subs not used: Worner, Llera, Wagstaff, Fortune. Att: 14,436.