CHARLTON enjoyed a winning start to the new season with victory over AFC Bournemouth at The Valley.

Akpo Sodje struck the winner midway through the first half but the Addicks had some anxious moments late on following Jose Semedo’s 62nd minute red card.

Phil Parkinson made a quartet of new signings in the run-up to the game but all of the four were named as substitutes.

There were debuts in the starting line-up for summer arrivals Johnnie Jackson, Pawel Abbott, Gary Doherty and Alan McCormack.

Former Addick Harry Atrer started the game for newly-promoted AFC Bournemouth.

Scott Wagstaff fired over the bar inside the opening minute after good build up play from the hosts, while Cherries keeper Shwan Jajal had to come out quickly to thwart Akpo Sodje.

Wagstaff tried his luck again with a volley on five minutes which was always drifting off target but it was certainly a promising start from Charlton.

Sodje did very well to get on the end of Abbott’s long pass forward after quarter of an hour but his dangerous cross into the danger zone just failed to pick out Reid.

Reid’s 18th minute delivery was fired over the bar from Sodje six yards out but the duo combined again in almost identical fashion for Charlton’s opener four minutes later and this time there was no mistake from the Addicks striker.

Reid came close to doubling the advantage two minutes later but his free-kick from 30-yards was well gathered by Jalal.

Chris Solly shook off the attempted challenge of Marc Pugh before delivering a cross which landed straight at Jalal and then Reid inexplicably shot wide after breaking into the box.

Brett Pitman fired wildly over the bar from long range on the half hour mark, probably the closest they had come even though the attempt was nowhere near Rob Elliot’s goal.

Although remaining in control, Charlton didn’t create any real opportunities in the reminder of the half and went in at the break with only a one goal advantage.

Arter’s return to his former club proved to be a short lived affair as he was replaced at the interval by Michael Symes.

Semedo had the first chance of the second half when his volley from just outside of the area went wide.

Bournemouth were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position on the left side of the area on 50 minutes following a foul by Solly on Pugh.

Pugh took the free-kick but the danger was quickly cleared by the Charlton defence.

Pitman played a delightful 55th minute cross-field pass to Liam Feeney, whose low drive was well saved by Elliot.

Charlton were dealt a major blow when Semedo was dismissed for a 62nd minute tackle on Symes, presumably for going in with his studs up.

Parkinson opted to replace Abbott with Therry Racon shortly afterwards, with Sodje left to lead the line alone with occasional support from Reid.

Cherries substitute Danny Hollands let fly with a 25-yard shot which went wide on 70 minutes, although he furiously claimed to the referee his attempt had taken a deflection which should have produced a corner.

Lee Martin entered the fray in place of Wagstaff but Bournemouth were fuming in the 76th minute when their penalty claims were ignored after Symes’ shot was charged down by Doherty, seemingly with his arm.

Jason Pearce headed over from the corner and then Elliot was called into action to parry Pugh’s shot as Bournemouth upped the tempo in a bid to capitalise on their numerical advantage.

McCormack had a lucky escape when his headed clearance from Pugh’s cross hit the side-netting and then Feeney fired over from the resultant corner.

Sodje was replaced by Simon Francis in the final minute but that was before five minutes of stoppage time were signalled.

Despite this, the Addicks comfortably held on to seal a deserved three points.

Charlton: Elliot, Solly, Dailly, Doherty, Jackson, Wagstaff (Martin 73), Semedo, McCormack, Reid, Abbott (Racon 64), Sodje (Francis 89). Subs not used: Worner, Mambo, Fry, Smart. Att: 16,236.