CHARLTON suffered their most embarrassing defeat in the club's 104-year history when they were dumped out of the FA Cup by non-league Northwich Victoria.

Only a string of stunning first half saves by Addicks keeper Darren Randolph had prevented Charlton from trailing at the break.

However, there was nothing even he could do to keep out substitute Wayne Riley’s 81st minute winner for the Conference North outfit as Charlton suffered their first ever loss at the hands of non-league opposition.

Northwich created the first opportunity on six minutes when Ian Herring’s long throw was flicked on by Matt Bailey before the danger was cleared by Nicky Bailey.

Christian Dailly came to Randolph’s rescue when he cleared under pressure from Lee Elam and the resultant long throw in by Herring was headed over by Matt Bailey.

Nat Kerr’s ambitious 16th minute volley from the edge of the area went wide but Northwich were looking the more likely in the early stages to break the deadlock.

In fact, Charlton’s first attempt didn’t arrive until the 21st minute when skipper Nicky Bailey blasted an effort over the bar.

The Addicks had two lucky escapes in quick succession, the first coming when Matt Bailey’s header was pushed over by Randolph with a stunning stop.

Moments later, a mad goalmouth scramble saw Charlton clear the danger three times on the line, twice through Dailly and once by Elliot Omozusi, as Herring launched yet another long throw into the danger zone.

Sam Sodje headed a 32nd minute Jonjo Shelvey corner straight at Curtis Aspden in a rare attack from the visitors, while Randolph dealt comfortably with Matt bailey’s 35th minute header at the other end.

Northwich were causing untold problems from set pieces and only a last-gasp clearance prevented John Newby pulling the trigger after yet another long free-kick had been pumped into the box.

Amazingly, Charlton survived again two minutes before the break when Randolph pulled out yet another incredible stop to tip over Michael Connor’s close range header after another Herring throw in had created confusion in the visiting defence.

How on earth Charlton went in level at the break was anybody’s guess, but it was clear Phil Parkinson had a major problem to solve in the shape of Herring’s throw ins and Matt Bailey’s headers.

Kelly Youga went on a great run seven minutes after the restart after being picked out by Nicky Bailey, but his eventual cross from the edge of the area failed to find a Charlton shirt and the chance was wasted.

Shelvey’s 56th minute low shot from 20 yards went straight into the hands of Aspden as the Addicks at last began to show signs of coming to life.

Lee Elam had a 64th penalty appeal ignored after a tussle with Nicky Bailey, although Charlton were unfortunate from the break that McLeod was just unable to latch on to Shelvey’s low pass as he bore down on goal.

It was the last piece of action for Shelvey and McLeod as they were replaced shortly afterwards by Deon Burton and Leon McKenzie.

Burton almost made an instant impact when his strike on target was cleared by Herring, who was involved in the thick of everything.

Charlton were finally undone nine minutes from time when Connor’s long header forward set substitute Riley through on goal and he buried a low shot beyond Randolph to put the non-leaguers in front.

It could have been even worse three minutes later when Ryan Brown’s free-kick was headed across the face of goal and Matt Bailey’s header was cleared off the line by Sodje.

The referee handed Charlton an unlikely lifeline by signalling five minutes of additional time, although the closest the came to snatching an undeserved replay was when Nicky Bailey’s 94th minute free-kick went straight into the wall.

Charlton: Randolph, Omozusi, Sodje, Dailly, Youga, Sam, Semedo (Wagstaff 86), Racon, Bailey, Shelvey (Burton 68), McLeod (McKenzie 68). Subs not used: Binks, Llera, Basey, Spring.