CHARLTON gave their long-suffering fans some hope of beating the drop with only their sixth league victory of the season against Plymouth.

Goals either side of the break from Therry Racon and Nicky Bailey gave the Addicks rare back-to-back home successes following the victory over Crystal Palace and there was even time for Bailey to miss a second half penalty.

Argyle's Paul Gallagher created the first opportunity on five minutes, turning away from his marker inside the Charlton area before blazing his shot over the bar.

Matt Spring swung in an inviting free-kick but Tresor Kandol's header landed safely in the hands of Argyle keeper Romain Larrieu.

Rob Elliot was forced to punch behind Mark Hudson's header for a corner at the other end moments later.

Charlton had an appeal for a penalty ignored five minutes later when the ball appeared to hit the hand of former Addick Simon Walton, but the cries for a spot kick fell on deaf ears as referee Trevor Kettle waved play on.

But it was Gallagher who came closest to breaking the deadlock on 16 minutes, unleashing a powerful shot from 20 yards which Elliot did well to get a hand to.

Chris Dickson blasted an effort straight at Larrieu and the forward tested the Plymouth keeper again on 21 minutes when clever work by strike partner Kandol played Dickson into a useful shooting position.

Charlton finally got their noses in front 12 minutes later and it was a strike of the highest quality from Racon.

Spring found the French midfielder just outside of the area and Racon unleashed a delightful shot from 20 yards which flew into the back of the net.

Argyle were almost back on terms moments later when Gallagher's free-kick from 25 yards struck the bar.

Charlton should have doubled their advantage four minutes into the second half when Luke Summerfield was adjudged to have handled in the area and the Addicks were awarded a penalty.

However, Bailey's spot kick produced an excellent save from Larrieu and Plymouth survived the scare.

Bailey squandered another glorious opportunity shortly afterwards when he blazed over the bar from 15-yards.

Dickson went on a long run on 56 minutes which took him into the area but his eventual shot was saved and Larrieu kept out Kandol's effort from an acute angle moments later.

Kandol should have done better when he failed to hit the target from an ideal scoring position as the Addicks desperately went in search of a crucial second.

Plymouth substitute Rory Fallon produced a rare stop from Elliot at the other end with a tame shot, but it was a timely reminder Charlton's narrow advantage may not necessarily be enough.

They were given another scare when Alan Judge's volley from 25 yards just sailed wide of the post but their nerves were eased seconds later when Bailey atoned for his earlier penalty miss by making it 2-0.

Racon's ball found Bailey inside the box and the midfilder slotted his low shot beyond Larrieu to hand the Addicks the rare luxury of a two-goal advantage, the first time they have held one since the 4-2 win over Reading in late August.

Jamie Mackie saw his low drive sail just wide of the post six minutes from time before Dickson made way for Deon Burton.

It was literally just a case of running down the clock for the home side who now find themselves seven points from safety as opposed to 10 following Norwich's 1-0 defeat at Preston.

Charlton: Elliot, Murty, Hudson, Ward, Youga, Soares, Spring, Racon, Bailey, Dickson (Burton 84), Kandol. Subs: Randolph, Shelvey, Holland, Sam. Att: 21,876.