CHARLTON slipped to their seventh defeat of the Championship campaign when they were beaten 2-0 by Bristol City at The Valley on Tuesday evening.

The Addicks almost made the perfect start when Luke Varney fired straight at Adriano Basso from just six-yards out.

At the other end Liam Fontaine headed wide from Michael McIndoe's inviting cross in the fifth minute.

Hameur Bouazza tested Basso with a shot after quarter of an hour, but his effort was comfortably saved by the visiting keeper and Andy Gray saw his shot at the second attempt sail wide of the target one minute later.

Varney ran into the area and produced a save from Basso and from the resultant corner, Nicky Bailey's drive across the face of goal was flicked wide by Gray.

Gray hit the post two minutes later and then Darren Ambrose had Basso at full stretch with a fine save to keep out his long-range drive as Charlton began to turn the screw.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play in the 27th minute.

Bailey lost possession to Lee Johnson and played it to Dele Adebola, who in turn squared it to Lee Trundle and he coolly placed his shot beyond Nicky Weaver.

Basso had to be alert to keep out Ambrose's 35th minute header from Bouazza's delivery, while Weaver was a relieved man when he finally gathered after spilling Johnson's low drive.

Johnson's cross was almost met by Adebola three minutes from the interval and Charlton were fortunate to survive the scare because the slightest of touches from the Robins striker would surely have put the visitors 2-0 in front.

Kelly Youga released Varney with a delightful low pass which put the Charlton forward through on goal on the stroke of half-time, but he squandered the opportunity by shooting well off target.

The Addicks had a lucky escape four minutes into the second half when a mistake by Cranie was capitalised on by Adebola, who was only denied by a good save from Weaver.

And the Charlton keeper was called into action again moments later to keep out Fontaine's powerful drive, but there was nothing even he could do to prevent the visitors adding a second in the 52nd minute.

Adebola was tackled by Linvoy Primus, but the loose ball fell invitingly at the feet of Gavin Williams and he fired home into the corner of the net.

Alan Pardew introduced Lloyd Sam and Chris Dickson five minutes later for Ambrose and Gray and the fresh faces almost made an immediate impact when Dickson headed just wide from Sam's corner.

Bristol City could have added a third when Bradley Orr's 72nd minute cross was met by substitute Nicky Maynard who headed straight at Weaver.

Sam came agonisingly close to putting Charlton right back in contention when his 78th minute low drive across goal was tipped away by Basso and then Varney headed wide shortly afterwards from Sam's cross.

Maynard's injury-time shot was pushed behind by Weaver, but the hapless Addicks left the field to a crescendo of boos from the disgruntled Valley faithful.

Charlton: Weaver, Moutaouakil, Primus, Cranie, Youga, Bouazza (Todorov 75), Bailey, Holland, Ambrose (Sam 57), Gray (Dickson 57), Varney. Subs not used: Elliot, Wright. Att: 21, 207.

News Shopper verdict: Another poor display from Charlton on home turf and the natives are clearly getting restless.

Heaven knows what the Dubai investors would have been thinking had they been watching, but they will clearly expect better from their investment than this when the deal finally goes through.