West Country woes returned for Welling United when they were defeated at Chippenham Town.

Their recent stunning victory at Yeovil Town appeared to have ended their jinx when travelling to that part of England. Previously, they had conceded five at Truro City and Torquay United, and four at Weston-super-Mare and Bath City. Although less heavily, they were also beaten at Taunton Town.

On this occasion, the four-one scoreline was harsh on the Wings who controlled the match for the first sixty-five minutes before being undone by a thirty-five yard thunderbolt followed by a freak goal.

Motorway congestion caused a late arrival for the Welling team coach and they were greeted to Wiltshire by a heavy hailstorm. When the game commenced, seventeen minutes late, the Wings were the quickest out of the blocks and David Amoo, on full debut, drew a smart save out of Will Henry, low to his left.

In the ninth minute, Welling went ahead when Riccardo Di Trolio arrived late at the far post and headed Cameron Green’s corner back across the face of goal for Jack Burchell to turn it home.

Playing down the slope, and with the wind behind them, Welling continued to dominate the first half but didn’t create the clear cut openings needed to take full advantage of the conditions. They tried to repeat their successful corner routine and Di Trolio again headed across goal but, this time, nobody was able to get on the end of it.

Jason Adigun had a shot saved comfortably by Henry then Burchell created a shooting opportunity for Sonny Fish who unleashed a fearsome drive that went just over. As half time approached Adigun’s tenacity enabled him to give Fish another invitation to shoot and his effort was blocked away for a corner.

As expected, Chippenham were quickly out of the blocks after the break and Matt McClure took advantage of a weak Welling defensive header to nod it forward to Tom Owen-Evans but the slope took it away from him and he could only hook it into the side netting. McClure then shot low to draw a good save out of Welling goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook.

After that, Welling settled and came close to extending their lead when Antony Papadopoulos took aim for the top corner from outside the penalty area. Somehow, Henry got across and made a brilliant diving save. He followed that up with another good stop to deny Fish when he shot on the turn.

There seemed little danger when Luke Haines received a pass for Chippenham in midfield but he was allowed to move forward before his wind assisted shot from thirty-five yards flew into the corner past a bemused Charles-Cook.

Seven minutes later, the strong wind had a further influence. Tyreke Johnson sent in a high cross that caught in the airflow and sailed over Charles-Cook and inside the far post.

Although Papadopoulos had a low shot well saved by Henry, Chippenham were on target again with nine minutes left when Ed Williams found Owen-Evans and he fired high into the back of the net.

One minute remained when Chippenham added a fourth. Tom Mehew’s low diagonal cross was turned in at the far post by Johnson.

Two Kent derbies now await the Wings with them hosting Dover Athletic on Good Friday before travelling to Maidstone United on Easter Monday.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Johnson (Lema 74), Green, Burchell, Byrd, Di Trolio, Adigun, A. Grant (R. Grant 77), Fish, Amoo (Kennedy 72), Papadopoulos. Sub not used: Pitterson, Ellul.