Although the scoreline might suggest a regulation victory, Welling United were pushed all the way by Weston-super-Mare in their Vanarama National League South match at the J. Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium.

Rod Stringer’s Wings probably shaded the first half and went in one up at the break. However, Weston’s pass and move football in the second period put pressure on the Welling defence and when Weston levelled with just under fifteen minutes remaining, they looked the more likely team to win it.

However, Stringer responded by bringing on substitute Antony Papadopoulos and he made the desired impact by putting Welling back ahead in stoppage time before fellow replacement David Amoo added salt in Weston’s wounds with a debut goal with seconds remaining.

Stringer made one change to the team when restoring Sonny Fish to the starting line up and making the difficult decision in dropping Papadopoulos to the bench.

Reece Grant drew an early save out of Weston goalkeeper Max Harris before his opposite number, Reice Charles-Cook got across quickly to make a brilliant save from Dayle Grubb.

Chiori Johnson then tried his luck for Welling and, as he shot, Weston’s Jordan Bastin threw himself into its path causing it to loop over Harris, and fortunately for the Seagulls, the bar as well.

Jason Adigun gave an early indication of his ability and desire by breaking through two tackles before letting fly but, although his effort bounced awkwardly just in front of Harris, the goalkeeper got everything behind it to make the save. James Dodd then had a shot at the other end that was well saved by Charles-Cook after Reuben Reid had done well to hold it up and lay it off.

Another moment of brilliance by Adigun created the opening goal. Anthony Grant’s pass forward came to him at an awkward height but his technique to bring it down quickly then move it on sent Fish away. The Welling striker was too strong for the last defender and he burst into the penalty area before unleashing an unstoppable drive high into the back of the net.

It might have been two-nil just before half time but Harris made a brilliant save to keep out an effort from Reece Grant.

After the break, Weston started to enjoy more of the possession with their pleasing on the eye football although the hosts looked the more threatening when they had chances. It took a last ditch clearance off the line by Bastin to save the visitors after they struggled with Cameron Green’s driven in free kick.

Dodd flicked a Grubb corner wide of the near post before Green was also off target at the other end when doing well to get a shot away when it came out to him at a difficult height.

Robbie Willmott feasted on a poor Welling defensive clearance but didn’t make the most of it and failed to trouble Charles-Cook before Dodd headed over from Grubb’s free kick.

Eventually, Weston levelled when Grubb squared for Dodd fifteen yards out and his first time shot flew into the top corner.

Moments later, Stringer brought on Papadopoulos and it paid dividends. His free kick was headed over by Lachlan Byrd before the game moved into stoppage time. Papadopoulos found space in midfield and spread play with a long pass out to Reece Grant on the left wing. He laid it off to Green and he gave it back to Papadopoulos who had surged forward. He continued his run past a static defender in the penalty area before firing low under Harris and into the bottom corner.

Three further minutes passed before Welling ensured victory by scoring again. Adigun’s skills, combined with determination, created space for him to play fellow substitute Amoo in behind and he finished clinically.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Johnson (Lema 87), Green, Byrd, Ellul, Di Trolio, Adigun, A. Grant, Fish (Amoo 69), R. Grant, Kennedy (Papadopoulos 79). Subs not used: Pitterson, Burchell.