Joy for Welling United supporters for a great result at Hemel Hempstead Town was short-lived as soon after the game, news filtered through that manager Danny Bloor had been sacked.

At a Welling United Supporters Association meeting two days earlier, the question was asked of whether those present still wanted Bloor as manager and the vote was almost one hundred percent in favour of him staying on.

Bloor’s last team selection included a full debut for Josh Johnson and a first appearance on the bench for new signing Mbunya Alemanji.

However, it was the hosts who had the first goal attempt, a harmless shot off target by former Wing Kaylen Hinds.

Antony Papadopoulos had Welling’s first meaningful effort, a powerful drive that Craig King palmed over then TJ Bramble got to a cross ahead of King but his header floated wide.

Michael Folivi headed over for the Tudors before Welling created another chance when a free flowing Welling move ended with Crossley Lema side-footing narrowly wide from twenty yards.

Josh Williams was cautioned for a foul on David Kamara then the eighteen year old Welling striker and Kyle Ajayi had a leg tangle in the penalty area after which, the Hemel defender kicked out. Curiously, both were shown yellow cards.

After the half time break, Reice Charles-Cook saved from George Williams before Vladimir Paternoster became the third Hemel defender to be cautioned for an offence involving Kamara. In truth, the punishment could easily have been heavier as the foul stopped Kamara from having a clear run at goal.

Kamara was not to be denied for too much longer. Shortly before the hour mark, Papadopoulos fired a shot that King was unable to hold and Kamara was on hand to tuck it away.

Brad Quinton, Hemel’s one time Welling manager, made two changes of which one was enforced. King was forced off injured and replaced by substitute goalkeeper James Taylor, then Bayley Brown was introduced to give the Tudors a more physical presence up front.

They did create a few half chances when Folivi headed Montel McKenzie’s near post header wide, George Williams planted a free kick well over, and Joe Re was also off target.

It wasn’t all one way though, and Alemanji, who had come on just before Welling went ahead, came close when a shot that looked to be heading for inside the far post hit a defender’s leg and flew just wide of the near upright.

Lachlan Byrd then headed over before Hemel went close in injury time when Myles Judd hit a first time shot that whistled past the post.

In the sixth minute of stoppage time, Welling went further ahead. Alemanji turned the last man before bursting away and slotting into the bottom corner.

Two minutes later, the Tudors notched a consolation goal to end Charles-Cook’s clean sheet hopes when George Williams bundled it home at the end of a goalmouth scramble. The second that Welling re-started the game, the referee blew his whistle for the final time to end the game.

For an hour, or so, Welling players, management, and supporters were able to enjoy the result before discovering that Bloor had been relieved of his responsibilities.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Lema, Green, Grant, Ellul, Byrd, Bramble (Curran 90+2), Odusanya, Papadopoulos, Kamara (Roscrow 62), Johnson (Alemanji 55). Subs not used: Burchell, Muwonge.