Dreams of FA Cup progress ended for Welling in the Fourth Qualifying Round replay when going down to a late goal at Boreham Wood.

It was tough on the Wings who had lost two players injured in the first half, including goalkeeper Ben Winterbottom. Despite that, Welling still had the better of the second half chances and deserved to take the game to a replay. However, it wasn’t to be.

Danny Bloor was forced to make one change to the starting line up with influential midfielder James Vaughan not fit enough to play, allowing Amadou Kassarate a rare start.

Antony Papadopoulos had a shot deflected wide early on before the hosts had a series of corners, one of which included the first controversial moment of the day. Jamal Fyfield and Tristan Abrahams clashed in the penalty area resulting in the Welling player being grounded. If the referee, or an assistant saw anything, the only punishment should have been a red card, however, a yellow card was brandished.

Lee Ndlovu got on the end of a Tyrone Marsh knock down but shot over before Papadopoulos put Abrahams away down the inside left slot and his angled shot just missed the far post.

Lewis White became the first Welling player to be withdrawn through injury with a suspected dislocated shoulder and Kain Adom replaced him. Then both Winterbottom and Cameron Green tried to get to a Marsh shot and collided on the ground with Green’s studs catching Winterbottom’s head. After prolonged treatment, he was helped off and teenager Javarn Pitterson came on for his debut.

Crossley Lema headed over for Welling and Angelo Balatan nodded wide for the hosts before half time.

After the break, Adom had a shot deflected wide before Jack Burchell’s shot rattled the post. Again Welling went close when a quick passing move sent Adom away down the left hand side. He crossed low for the incoming Jephte Tanga but he couldn’t stretch his leg out to turn it home.

Pitterson got down well to save a Ndlovu shot that took a deflection before Green cut in and fired over for Welling. Balanta then drew another good save out of Pitterson.

Nathan Ashmore was called into action at the other end holding on well to Tanga’s drive before saving low from Papadopoulos.

Timmy Abraham, brother of England player Tammy, hooked well over for the home side before they scored the winner with four minutes remaining. A tired miss-timed tackle gave them a free kick from the edge of the area and Marsh took advantage by firing into the top corner.

Although Green shot over in injury time, Welling were unable to find an equaliser to keep their cup run going.

Welling United: Winterbottom (Pitterson 41), Lema, Green, Kassarate (Muwonge 87), Byrd, Burchell, Tanga, Odusanya, Abrahams, Papadopoulos, White (Adom 30). Sub not used: Curran. MacAllister, Bayford, Kamara.