Despite having plenty of opportunities, Welling United were held for a draw by Farnborough in their Vanarama National League South match at the J. Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium.

Twice they hit the bar and were also thwarted by an incredible save with seconds remaining but it was a bitty game with Wings not at their crisp passing best.

There was little to raise the heart rate in the first twenty minutes until Ollie Pendlebury missed for Farnborough from close range. However, in their first meaningful attack, it was Welling who went ahead.

Another attacking move looked to have broken down until Lewis White rescued it. He crossed to Crossley Lema who headed back to Dominic Odusanya. He brought it down before burying his shot in the bottom corner.

Jephte Tanga and Jack Burchell both had chances to increase Welling’s lead however they paid for missing those chances when Farnborough levelled in the seventh minute of first half stoppage time. Pendlebury hit a low free kick through Welling’s defensive wall and into the bottom corner.

Immediately after the half time break, Welling had a free kick from a similar position. Antony Papadopoulos stepped up and it clipped a defender before going just past the near post with goalkeeper Jack Turner watching anxiously.

Former Wing Taylor Maloney hit a snap shot just wide then Jack Ball headed beyond the post from Pendlebury’s delivery.

Tristan Abrahams’ header clipped the bar on its way over after Burchell had nodded a Papadopoulos delivery over before Ollie Robinson hooked inches wide at the other end.

Again Welling hit the bar when Lema’s long range shot rattled the framework before Papadopoulos had a shot saved by Turner.

Farnborough were lucky not to be reduced to ten men when the already cautioned Jayden Davis committed an offence far worse than one for which Cameron Green had been booked moments earlier. The visitors’ manager Spencer Day wasted no time in dragging the substitute off and replacing him with Ricky Holmes.

Three minutes remained when Welling went back ahead. Green threaded it in to TJ Bramble and he turned and fired into the bottom corner.

Jubilation turned to frustration two minutes later when Maloney’s angled cross picked out Dan Gifford and he headed home.

However, that was not the end of the drama and Abrahams thought that he had won it in injury time when his volley from Tanga’s pull back looked destined for the net until Turner made a spectacular one handed save.

Next Saturday, Welling are back in F.A. Cup action when visiting Boreham Wood in the final qualifying round.

Welling United: Winterbottom, Lema (MacAllister 82), Green, Vaughan (Bramble 46), Byrd, Burchell, Tanga, Odusanya, Abrahams, Papadopoulos, White (Muwonge 67). Sub not used: Bayford, Kassarate.