Two goals apiece meant that Welling United’s visit to Gosport Borough could not separate the clubs and they must do it all again with an F.A. Cup Third Qualifying Round replay.

Although Gosport play in the league below Welling, they are leading it so, in effect, they are only three places lower than their visitors so a tight encounter was anticipated.

Neither side created much in the opening exchanges until Crossley Lema cut in and let fly with a shot that rippled the roof of the net. Jephte Tanga then hit a shot towards the bottom corner but Toby Steward got down to make a good save.

In the twenty-second minute, Welling went ahead. Kain Adom’s close control allowed him to make the space required to fire into the top corner from twenty yards.

Antony Papadopoulos had a free kick deflected just wide by the Gosport defensive wall before the hosts had their only chance of the first half when Brad Tarbuck shot into the ground and it looped up for Ben Winterbottom to claim.

Adom was shown a soft yellow card for a foul that looked worthy of a free kick, but no more, before Welling had a great chance to double their lead. Abrahams beat the Gosport offside trap but with just Stewart to beat, he shot well off target.

Having controlled the first half, Welling suffered a crazy opening ten minutes after the break. In the second minute, Rafael Ramos got a touch on a long clearance to divert it beyond Winterbottom before Welling were reduced to ten men. Charlie Wassmer fouled Adom and there was a minor bout of pushing and shoving. Once all had died down, the Gosport defender was shown a yellow card and the Welling man a second yellow and a red card,

Steward made a great save from Papadopoulos before the turnaround was completed. Poor defending allowed Ramos the opportunity to pick out the unmarked Dan Wooden in the middle and he made no mistake when scoring his ninth goal of the season.

Once they had recovered from the shock, Welling again imposed themselves and had a good shout for a penalty when Tanga appeared to have been cleaned out after Steward had dropped a cross.

Lachlan Byrd headed wide after Jack Burchell had rescued James Vaughan’s deep corner with a clip back across goal, then Abrahams volleyed over. Papadopoulos also thought that he had a strong case for a penalty when clipped as he was about to shoot.

Abrahams shot wide from distance and Dominic Odusanya was also off target before Welling manager Danny Bloor made a double change just before the end of the regulation ninety minutes. Eight additional were signalled and in the seventh, Welling scored the equaliser they deserved. Cameron Green burst down the left and squared for Abrahams. His first touch gave him a clear shot at goal and he made no mistake when firing into the bottom corner.

That set up a replay at Welling on Wednesday evening.

Welling United: Winterbottom, Lema (Bramble 78), Green, Vaughan, Byrd, Burchell, Tanga, Odusanya (MacAllister 89), Abrahams, Papadopoulos (Muwonge 89), Adom. Subs not used: Pitterson, Bayford, Kassarate, Addae.