Defeat at Taunton Town meant that Welling United are still yet to win their first point of the season.

They had been the better side against Chelmsford City during the week, but lost, and they dominated against the Peacocks but couldn’t find the net. In both matches they were left regretting failure to convert penalties.

In just the tenth minute, they gave themselves problems by conceding an avoidable goal. Nick McCootie out-muscled his man far too easily and shot low giving Ben Williamson no chance.

Good Welling build up play created an opportunity for Cameron Green but he shot over before the Wings had an even better chance five minutes before the break. Taofiq Olomowewe went up for a corner and was bundled over by the Peacocks’ captain Nick Grimes. Antony Papadopoulos stepped up to take the penalty but Dan Lavercombe went the right way to make the save.

Moments later, Papadopoulos was again left shaking his head when his shot from twenty yards flew back out off the crossbar.

After the interval. Lloyd James’ free kick fell into the path of Lee Lucas who fired high into the August blue sky and that proved to be the limit of Taunton’s second half attacking ambitions.

Papadopoulos shot over before Lavercombe again proved himself to be the difference. Jack Burchell worked his way through and his shot looked destined for the top corner but the Peacock’s goalkeeper made a stunning save to turn it away.

He thwarted Welling again when Papadopoulos sent teenager David Kamara through on goal. His first touch gave him the shooting chance and he fired towards the bottom corner only for Lavercombe to make another superb block. Although it came back out to him, Kamara was off balance and could only stab it wide.

Danny Bloor, Welling’s manager, introduced the raw talent of Kain Adom, and Lewis White, returning from injury, and they stretched the Taunton defence. White had a low shot well saved by Lavercombe before Adom was just off target from the edge of the penalty area.

Adom then threaded White through but his first time effort flew over, and the former Worthing winger showed great control to create another chance but again, he couldn’t keep it down.

Despite throwing players forward, with even Williamson joining the attack in injury time, they could not break down the obstinate Taunton defence and had to return home empty handed.

Welling United: Winterbottom, Byrd, Green, Vaughan, Olomowewe (Lema 46), Burchell, Tanga, Odusanya, Kamara (White 68), Papadopoulos, Wood (Adom 58). Sub not used: Andrews, Isiaka.