Easter proved to be a fulfilling time for Welling United.

Following their goalless draw at Dover Athletic on Good Friday, they claimed a victory at home to Eastbourne Sports on Easter Monday to complete the double over their play-off chasing opposition.

Whilst their win at Eastbourne in September was a hard fought ground out affair, they were the better side in the home match on Easter Monday and deserved the three points.

Warren Feeney made two changes from the match three days earlier with Stefan Payne returning from suspension and Medy Elito starting for the first time since sustaining injury in February. Ade Azeez and Dan Nkrumah dropped to the bench.

Jamie Yila had the first effort of the match but Kai McKenzie-Lyle saved well before Welling moved it cleverly to send Rob Howard away down the right wing. He played it in to Payne who, in turn, touched it on, but James Dunne, still to score his first Welling goal, was unable to finish.

Leone Gravata blasted over for Eastbourne before Welling went ahead. Christie Pattisson was given the time to take aim from twenty-five yards, and his shot beat the despairing Lee Worgan.

Dunne headed down an Elito corner to Dylan Gavin whose shot was tipped over by Worgan before another Elito corner picked out Gavin and Worgan again thwarted him when saving from his header.

Pattisson had another long shot turned round the post unconvincingly by the Eastbourne goalkeeper before Welling had a claim for a corner when Gavin appeared to be bundled over by Bradley Barry but the referee waved play on.

Jaden Perez missed a good chance to level when side-footing wide from the edge of the penalty area before McKenzie-Lyle had to be alert when pushing over James Vaughan’s free kick.

Perez came even closer after the break when his shot came back off the base of the post.

Payne chased a long clearance from McKenzie-Lyle but couldn’t get a clean header on it and Worgan saved comfortably, and the Welling striker had another chance when Elito and Pattisson combined but his shot was deflected wide.

Elito had a shot blocked then Dunne broke forward, however he couldn’t get the necessary power in his shot and Worgan saved comfortably. At the other end Morgan Williams had a free kick tipped over before he delivered the corner that was headed wide by Chris Whelpdale.

Dan Nkrumah created another chance for Payne but his shot was turned wide by Worgan, then McKenzie-Lyle made another diving save to claim Shiloh Remy’s shot.

Whelpdale was again off target with a header however Welling had the last shooting option when Stefan Cox collected a sloppy header out only to miscue his effort wide.

Victory for the Wings took them nine points clear of the drop zone with four to play while seriously denting Eastbourne’s play-off hopes.

Welling United: McKenzie-Lyle, Howard, Barnes, Parry, Sendles-White, Lyons-Foster, Pattisson (Lisbie 90+5), Dunne, Payne, Gavin (Nkrumah 46), Elito (Cox 78). Sub not used: Azeez, Andrews.