George Alexander scored his first ever hat-trick in senior football Welling United as Welling United held off the Rebels of Slough Town.

It took him under four minutes to open the scoring. Ade Azeez had missed a good chance when slotting wide after being set-up by Rob Howard. Will Dennis took the goal kick quickly to Scott Davies who played it in to Temi Eweka. He blasted his clearance at a pressing Ade Azeez and it fell to Alexander who blasted it home.

Hoping for a quick response, Ogo Obi fired in a low shot from twenty-five yards that Myles Roberts claimed comfortably then Elliot Benyon could only meet James Dobson’s deep cross falling away and he headed harmlessly wide.

Matt Lench cut in from the right and twice dummied shots to give himself a better sight of goal but undid all his clever work by firing over. He was then offered another chance from the edge of the penalty area but was again unable to keep his shot down.

Taylor Maloney had a similar opportunity at the other end but didn’t get a clean connection on his shot and it dribbled wide of the near post.

Eweka then tried to make amends for his earlier blunder with s low shot from thirty yards but Roberts got right behind it to hold then Dobson went close with a twenty yard effort that went just wide with Roberts at full stretch.

Jamie Sendles-White headed just over from Maloney’s corner before Welling doubled their lead. Howard slanted in a free kick, Azeez headed it on, and Alexander’s first touch gave him the opportunity to flick it behind him and inside the post.

Immediately after the restart Slough went close to reducing the arrears. Josh Jackman’s shot beat Roberts but came back out off the post. It came out to Benyon whose first time effort was cleared off the line by Kodi Lyons-Foster.

That proved pivotal as Welling added a third minutes later, again profiting from a defensive mishap. Player/manager Scott Davies failed to control a chest down and Alexander seized on it and fired beyond Dennis for his fourth Welling goal in four starts.

Dobson hit a free kick over in first half injury time before the two sides went into their changing rooms for their team-talks.

After the interval, Welling continued to probe. Azeez found Amadou Kassarate whose shot was well saved. Kassarate, Medy Elito, and Alexander then combined to create an opening for Azeez but he was unable to hit the target with his powerful drive.

Substitute Louis Walsh looked dangerous for Slough but his good work in one strong run was wasted by Dobson when he fired over. Walsh again caused problems when his cross caught in the wind and Roberts had to dive full length to keep it out. He was again busy when twice having to claw out from under the bar during a goalmouth scramble.

His determination to keep a clean sheet was further exemplified when making another fine save when Eweka burst through.

Alexander was substituted with six minutes remaining to take the plaudits from the travelling supporters and Kyrell Lisbie was brought on. He looked like he was going to get his name onto the score-sheet following more calamitous defending. Dennis hurried a clearance and hit it straight at Eweka. It rebounded into the path of Lisbie with the goal at his mercy but the Rebels’ centre back slumped to the ground and the referee felt that she had no option but to stop play for a potential head injury.

Deep into stoppage time, Moe Shubbar fired a free kick wide but it would have been too little too late as Welling completed their run of three consecutive away games with a victory.

Welling United: Roberts, Howard, Powell, Curran (Barnes 64), Sendles-White, Lyons-Foster, Kassarate, Elito, Alexander (Lisbie 84), Azeez (Parry 90+5), Maloney. Sub not used: McKenzie-Lyle, Andrews.