There were chances galore as Welling United crashed to defeat at Worthing on a wet and windy day.

Coming into the game, Welling had a one-hundred percent record on artificial surfaces this season, but they were second best in this match despite their late spirited comeback.

Although Welling started quickly, the hosts soon settled, and the impressive Lewis White fired over before Joel Colbran’s effort was deflected wide. It was not all one way though and Taylor Maloney’s shot was blocked to Amadou Kassarate who spun and shot but he fired just wide.

Ollie Pearce went on a long run and created an opening for Davide Rodari, but his effort drew a great save out of Myles Roberts.

In Worthing’s next attack, they went ahead. There was a mix-up between Manny Parry and Roberts causing the Welling goalkeeper to drop it, allowing Pearce to slot it into the empty net.

Kane Wills had a shot blocked by Maloney and Jamie Sendles-White made an excellent last gasp tackle to thwart White after he had rounded Roberts. The Welling custodian then made an excellent save from Dan Bowry before Colbran fired over from twenty yards.

Bowry then got caught out in his own penalty area and Maloney robbed him, turned and shot but Worthing stopper Harrison Male made a good save when pushing it over.

Shortly afterwards, the hosts went two up with another goal that could have been better defended. A long ball forward by Wells was not cut out and White skipped through unchallenged to tuck it home. Pearce then had a header tipped over before hitting a first time shot wide.

Both teams had great opportunities to go ahead before the half time break. Kassarate sent Medy Elito through and his attempt to slot home was saved brilliantly low down by Male. Then, at the other end, White sent Wills through, but his first touch was clumsy inviting Roberts to claim at his feet.

Antony Papadopoulos was brought on for the second half and he netted with virtually his first touch, but he was in an offside position after it rebounded to him off Kassarate.

Roberts was soon called into action again when saving Cal Kealy’s shot with his left boot before he made another good save from the same Rebels’ player. Pearce had another chance but volleyed over before Worthing went three up. Roberts made a stunning double save from Kealy and Pearce, but it fell for White who gave him no chance.

Six minutes later, Welling pulled one back. Elito created space for Maloney to shoot and his effort was handled in the area and a penalty awarded. Maloney stepped up and crashed it home.

Another Pearce shot was saved by Roberts before substitute Ibby Akanbi twice thought that he had scored. First, he fired home from the edge of the penalty area, but Pearce was in an offside position when shielding it home. Then he let fly but Roberts made another wonder save when tipping it onto the bar.

Ade Azeez shot just wide on the turn before Welling pulled another one back. Elito sent Daniel Nkrumah away and he showed great composure when firing home.

Substitute Josh Chambers had a chance to seal it for Worthing but delayed his shot before hitting it wide, then Welling had a half-chance to claim an unlikely equaliser when Azeez’s shot was blocked into the path of Parry, but he dragged his shot wide.

To add insult to injury, Welling were reduced to ten men with a very harsh dismissal in the last minute of stoppage time. Taylor Curran pushed Chambers away as he stopped Welling from taking a quick free kick and the Wings’ substitute was shown a red card.

On Wednesday night, Welling host Leyton Orient’s first team before their home game against Dulwich Hamlet next Saturday.

Welling United: Roberts, Jones (Barnes 62), Powell, Dunne, Sendles-White (Curran 90), Parry, Kassarate (Papadopoulos 46), Nkrumah, Azeez, Elito, Maloney. Sub not used: McKenzie-Lyle, Howard.