Welling United returned to winning ways when defeating Hungerford Town at Park View Road.

Warren Feeney’s team had been beaten heavily in midweek, but had it not been for an incredible display from visiting goalkeeper Tyla Dickinson, the winning margin would have been far greater.

Niko Muir had the first chance of the game when a long throw was flicked on to him at the far post, but Kai McKenzie-Lyle got across quickly and gave him little at which to aim, and he could only hook it over.

Sid Nelson headed over for Welling before George Smith screwed a shot wide for the visitors, Ben Allen had an opportunity against his former club but his effort from the edge of the area was turned around the post by a full-length McKenzie-Lyle before Welling ended the half strongly.

Twice Ade Azeez might have put the hosts ahead. First Manny Parry flicked on a Sam Cox throw, and it was fractionally behind Welling’s leading scorer, and he could only hook it over. Then Tom Dickens headed Yaser Kasim’s header back across goal, but Azeez did not get over it and his header cleared the bar.

After the interval, Chi Ezennolim had more joy further up the pitch and was the architect of most of Welling’s best opportunities. Early in the second half a combination of near post and Hungerford goalkeeper Tyla Dickinson kept his low cross out and it was he who was brought down for Welling’s goal after the hour mark. Antony Papadopoulos combined with him, and when he burst towards goal, Allen felled him in the penalty area. Devonte Aransibia had just come on as a substitute and he blasted home from the spot.

Papadopoulos’s determination and skill allowed him to rescue a lost cause and find Aransibia. He squared to Ezennolim. His shot was too hot for Dickenson to hold but he recovered quickly to smother the follow up from Azeez.

In an increasingly rare foray into the Welling half, Claudio Ofuso had a shot that was turned round the post by McKenzie-Lyle then Jerry Gyebi headed wide from the corner delivered by Ryan Jones.

Dickinson made a brilliant reaction save from Papadopoulos following another Ezennolim cross and the Hungerford goalkeeper followed that by tipping over Kasim’s free kick.

Seven days after Welling had two players sent off, they suffered further red card woes when Amadou Kassarate was dismissed for what was deemed to be a dangerous tackle. However, Hungerford were unable to make their numerical advantage tell, and Cameron Andrews drew a good save out of Dickinson after coming off the bench for his league debut.

Deep into injury time, Dickinson made one last excellent save to thwart the frustrated Azeez.