There was late drama at Bulpit Lane as Welling United came back from behind to claim a crucial three points against Hungerford Town.

At one-nil down with ten minutes remaining, the writing looked to be on the wall for Welling having threatened little in the second half however, a moment of brilliance from Dipo Akinyemi and a clinical finish by Alfie Matthews turned the game on its head.

Warren Feeney’s team made a good start to the game and Bradley Stevenson curled wide of the far post before Akinyemi fired well over, Stevenson then had a shot charged down after Hungerford struggled to clear a Ben Wells corner before Jake Evans drew a good save out of Coniah Boyce-Clarke in Hungerford’s first meaningful attack.

Rhys Tyler tried his luck from just inside the Welling half, but it did not cause any concern for Boyce-Clarke before it was Luke Cairney’s turn to shine. A long kick out by Boyce-Clarke was flicked on by Harvey Bradbury to send Akinyemi away but Cairney made an outstanding low save to keep it out.

George Smith blazed over after being found by Evans before James Rusby headed wide from Evans’ free kick. Akinyemi was on target, but not with the power to trouble Cairney, then Stevenson brought down Ben Allen’s cross but blasted over.

Max Ram looked certain to score from Rusby’s long throw just before the break, but Boyce-Clarke made a stunning save when tipping his close range header over.

After the half time interval, Akinyemi cut in from the right but shot wide then Boyce-Clarke had to be alert to push an Evans cross over.

Five minutes into the second half, the hosts went ahead in controversial circumstances. Ryan Seager appeared to shove Ade Shokunbi off the ball and took full advantage by crossing low into the box. It fell for Duane Ofori-Acheampong, and he forced his way into a shooting chance and fired home.

Another Wells corner was cleared uncomfortably as far as Stevenson, but he could not keep his effort down then, at the other end, Evans found Andre Burley, and his effort needed another good save by Boyce-Clarke.

Tyler’s shot was deflected wide by James Sendles-White then Ram met another Rusby long throw, but Royce-Clarke made the save from his header.

Ofori-Acheampong played it back for George Smith, but he poked it over from twenty yards before the game was turned on its head. Chi Ezzenolim found Stevenson who played it out to Akinyemi down the left wing. He cut in and let fly with a brilliant shot that gave Cairney no chance.

Buoyed by that, Welling looked for a winner and found it in the final minute of regulation time. Tom Derry went up with Burley and it came off the defender’s half into the path of Matthews and he side-footed beyond Cairney.

As the six additional minutes were expiring, Matthews’ joy turned to despair when a clumsy challenge on Seager resulted in him being shown a second yellow card and a dismissal. Cairney went up for the free kick and had only started his retreat when it fell into his path. He let fly from twenty-five yards but was dismayed to see his shot fly back out off the bar and referee Stephen Parkinson blew his whistle to end the contest.

Victory for the Wings kept their destiny in their own hands whilst ending Hungerford’s hopes of qualifying for the play-offs  

Welling United: Boyce-Clarke, Statham, Ezennolim, Wells, Sendles-White, Margetson, Allen (Derry 58), Stevenson (Barnes 82), Bradbury (Matthews 74), Akinyemi, Shokunbi. Subs not used: Pearce, Burnett.