Cray Wanderers ended a four game losing run with a well-deserved point at promotion contenders Enfield Town on Good Friday and moved up one place to 20th in the Isthmian Premier league table.

With a recent spate of goalkeeping injuries, the Wand had to call up U18s keeper Nathan Boamah for his senior debut and produced an outstanding performance with a number of terrific saves including a one handed push over from a Lyle Della-Valde free kick and can look back with pride with his performance.

Cray began the game on the front foot and Chris Dickson came close but Enfield began to pressurise and in the 12th minute were awarded a free kick 25 yards out to the right of the area and Lyle Della-Verde curling shot was heading for the top right corner but Boamah made an outstanding one handed save to push the ball over the bar for a corner.  Shortly after from a cross into the box Sam Youngs header was well claimed by Boamah.

For Cray, Yila curled a shot over the bar and the Wands won a series of corners and from one of these came close again when Dickson set up Yila with his back to goal and his overhead kick was pushed over well by McDonald.

Despite this period of play, Enfield took the lead in the 28th minute when down the left top scorer Mo Faal was adjudged to have been tugged back inside the area and a penalty kick was awarded. From the spot, Cass stroked home his shot into the bottom right corner.

Two minutes later though out of nothing Cray were level when down the right of the area Sam Wood received the ball and from 12 yards showed great accuracy to fire a shot past McDonald and into the net.

As the half went on again Cray had the edge and Yila curled a shot over the bar and down the right Anthony Cook squared the ball across from close to the by line and was blocked with Cray claims for a handball declined.

From there, Enfield went back in front in the 43rd minute when Della-Verde out on the right played a terrific ball out to Cass down the left and from just outside the area curled a superb shot wide of Boamah and into the net.

Once again though Cray were not down for long and on the stroke of half time were level once again when from a free kick down the left the ball was swung into the area and Richie Danquah rose to meet the ball with a towering header which hit the back of the net and his first goal for the club and send the teams in at half time all square.

The second half began in the same manner and Cray came close to going in front for the first time when from a corner down the left the ball into the box was met by the head of Yila but nicked off the head of an Enfield defender and over the bar for a corner.

At the other end Enfield attacked and Della-Verde’s ball across from the right was touched wide by the onrushing Cass.

In the 66th minute, Cray went in front when a ball was played forward for Dickson who flicked the ball towards the area, took a deflection off Rian Bray and into the path of Soul Kader who showed composure to draw the keeper and slot under McDonald and into the net for also his first goal for Cray Wanderers.

Shortly after Kader could have scored again with a half volley which went wide of the left post but Enfield were beginning to apply pressure and Faal who has 32 goals for the season down the left saw a near post shot saved by the legs of Boamah.

Another throw-in from Chappell down the right was flicked across the area by Youngs and then from a free kick Taaffe’s shot was deflected and came to Manny Maja who turned a shot over the bar.  Then Percy Kiangebeni setup Cass for a shot which was deflected across goal and behind for a corner.

This was followed by another top draw save from Boamah who reacted superbly to deny Faal who was set up by Maja and the 17 year old keeper turned the ball round the post for a corner.  From the corner, Sayoud’s cross was headed over by Youngs who then hit a shot wide from out on the left.

The pressure was definitely building and with two minutes to go from another corner down the right, Sayoud’s ball to the far post was turned in by Cass for his hat-trick and to tie the game once again.

Cray had had to soak up a lot of pressure and Enfield came closest to winning the game in the four minutes of added on time when Taaffe set up Cass and his goal bound shot was met by a smart one handed save by Boamah when it looked like the ball was going past him and was able to get down to smother the ball to make it a quadruple of key saves during the game.

In the end the game finished in a draw which was the least Cray deserved for their efforts and showed determination to twice come back and look to repel a lively Enfield attack.  The point moved Cray up to 20th on 33 points level on points with Merstham and a point ahead of bottom placed Leatherhead. One team in the Step 3 leagues which finish 20th will be relegated and will be decided on points per game.

Cray now move on to a massive game with 19th placed East Thurrock United who have 35 points on Wednesday night at Hayes Lane and a win for either side would be crucial.


Cray Wanderers:  Nathan Boamah, Kasim Aidoo, Ethan Kaiser, Richie Danquah, Tom Hanfrey, Jedd Smith, Anthony Cook, Sam Wood, Jamie Yila, Soul Kader, Chris Dickson:

Subs:  Harvey Browne, Kyel Reid, Narcis-Florin Filip, Luca Albon, Joe Smith


Att: 782