Having seemed to be dead and buried at three down, Welling United came back brilliantly to claim a point at Eastbourne Borough.

Three goals in eleven first half minutes looked to be enough for the in-form hosts but the Wings showed fortitude to come back and get something out of the game.

Charlie Walker and Jake Elliott were both off target early on, then Brad Pearce made an important intervention from a dangerous free kick. Walker fired a free kick wide of the near post and James Hammond headed wide from a Greg Luer diagonal cross.

Midway through the first half the hosts’ goal spree started. Hammond had a shot blocked but Charley Kendall showed great technique to turn and fire into the top corner.

Hammond shot over before Eastbourne doubled their lead when Mitch Dickenson finished at the far post when a low free kick got through to him.

Four minutes later it became three when Kendall caught the last man in possession, broke away and placed it beyond Coniah Boyce-Clarke and into the bottom corner.

Dipo Akinyemi fired over for Welling after clever work by Harvey Bradbury before Chris Whelpdale had the last chance of the first half, but Boyce-Clarke forced him into a tight angle, and he was unable to find the target.

Walker continued to search for a goal after the half time break, first firing over and then having a long range effort saved easily. Greg Luer also had a shot saved easily by Boyce-Clarke before Chi Ezzenolim made a vital block to keep out Kendall.

They paid for not adding to their lead when they let Welling back in on the hour mark. It fell to Akinyemi in the penalty area and although he was facing the wrong direction, he back-heeled into the unguarded net.

Kendall had a chance to complete his hat-trick when sent through one-on-one, but Boyce-Clarke did just enough to palm it away as the striker tried to round him. Although Kendall went down claiming a penalty, the referee got it right and waved play on.

It looked like Eastbourne were going to see the match out but with seven minutes remaining, Welling pulled another one back. Brad Stevenson swung in a deep ball towards the far post and in attempting to clear, Trent Mahorn could only turn it into his own net.

Boyce-Clarke made another good save, this time from Joel Rollinson, before Welling stunned the home crowd with a leveller. Alfie Matthews found Akinyemi, and he launched an unstoppable shot beyond goalkeeper Lee Worgan.

The point gained took Welling off bottom place and gave them hope of escaping the drop ahead of their Easter Monday game at home to Dorking Wanderers.

Welling United: Boyce-Clarke, Barnes, Ezennolim (Derry 71), Statham, Sendles-White, Pearce, Shokunbi, Wells (Matthews 61), Akinyemi, Saunders-Henry (Bradbury 32), Stevenson. Subs not used: Allen, Jackson.