It was another disappointing afternoon for Welling United as they were well beaten by promotion chasing Ebbsfleet United.

They had the first goal attempt when Brad Stevenson’s deep cross picked out Marcus Sablier but his header was straight at goalkeeper Louie Moulden. Then, at the other end, Shaquile Coulthirst was given an opportunity to spin and shoot but he fired straight at Coniah Boyce-Clarke.

In their next attack Welling went ahead. Harvey Bradshaw crossed and Tom Derry’s determination got him in front of his marker and his header gave Moulden no chance.

Although, they had much more of the possession, Ebbsfleet struggled to break Welling down and might have gone further behind when Chris Solly sliced an awkward Dipo Akinyemi cross and was relieved when it flew straight at Moulden rather than either side of him.

Giving away cheap free kicks did not help Welling's cause and Ebbsfleet levelled thirty minutes after going behind when Rakish Bingham met one with a strong header. Boyce-Clarke made a good save but it came back out off the post and Alex Finney was first to the rebound to slot home.

Six minutes later the visitors went ahead. Ade Shokunbi’s rash tackle on Craig Tanner in the penalty area resulted in a spot kick and Bingham converted confidently by sending Boyce-Clarke the wrong way.

Matters got worse for Welling three minutes after the half time break when a Coulthirst shot clipped Jamie Sendles-White’s foot and dribbled into the net.

Akinyemi tried to catch Moulden out with a free kick but the Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee read his intentions and saved easily. Then Stevenson picked out Bradbury with another free kick but the striker was unable to keep his header down.

Boyce-Clarke made an excellent one-handed save from Bingham who then had another chance when playing a one-two with Jack Paxman but he could only slide his effort beyond the far post.    

Moulden saved from Akinyemi before the Fleet added a fourth courtesy of trickery and a good finish by substitute Dominic Poleon.

Sendles-White headed wide from an Alfie Matthews free kick but Welling did manage a consolation goal in the second minute of stoppage time. A clearance fell into the path of Shokunbi and he struck it sweetly from twenty yards.

Sadly it was too little too late, and with the fixtures that they have remaining, they have a lot to do if they are to avoid the drop into the Isthmian League.

Welling United: Boyce-Clarke, Statham, Barnes, Shokunbi, Sendles-White, Curran (Pearce 72), Sablier (Wells 54), Stevenson (Matthews 68), Bradshaw, Derry, Akinyemi. Subs not used: Allen, Burnett.