Once again, Welling United created chances but defensive slips meant that they left Slough Town empty handed.

Although they went ahead, the Wings were only able to hold the lead for three minutes and ended defeated leaving them teetering above the relegation trapdoor.

Peter Taylor restored Jack Sims to the starting line-up after he had missed Welling’s previous game with a hip injury and the Wings’ goalkeeper was given an early tester. Imran Kayani took the opportunity to shoot but Sims made a good save to keep it out.

Ade Shokunbi shot wide for Welling then Aaron Barnes shot well wide when looking for the top corner.

Just shy of the half hour mark, Welling went ahead. Slough’s goalkeeper, Jonathan North, tried to claim a cross from Brad Stevenson but Dipo Akinyemi got there first with the header. Although it went over, North’s collision with Akinyemi was deemed to be a foul and a penalty was awarded. Akinyemi took the spot kick himself and sent North the wrong way.

Three minutes later, it was back to all square. Chi Ezennolim lost his footing and Kayani took advantage and cut in from the right wing. He skipped past a couple of non-existent challenges and fired low into the bottom corner.

Barnes had an effort cleared off the line by Scott Davies from another Stevenson cross before Welling conceded again, just before half time. This time it was Arthur Penney who slipped over but the danger appeared to have passed when Sims pushed Alfonso Tenconi’s effort around the post. However, when the corner was delivered, Welling half cleared and Aaron Kuhl went down over Maxwell Statham’s leg just inside the penalty area. Kuhl made no mistake from the spot, giving Sims no chance.

After the break, Lee Togwell was off target with a close range header at the far post for the Rebels before a scrappy affair was further broken up by substitutions from both teams. Ezennolim came in late to reach a Barnes deep cross but didn’t have a good enough angle to force it home then Akinyemi came agonisingly close with a curler that just shaved the outside of the far post with North beaten.

At the other end Sims did well to hold onto a shot from Tyler Goodhram that was made harder by a deflection then Statham blocked a shot from George Hunt.

In the last ten minutes, Welling continued to create chances, the closest coming when Danny Parish hit a shot that went over off the crossbar. Kristian Campbell had a low shot blocked and Tom Derry was off target from outside the penalty area but Welling were unable to rescue a point.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Davis (Parish 59), Penney, Barnes, Shokunbi, Akinyemi, Saunders-Henry (Derry 59), Stevenson (Campbell 80). Subs not used: Pearce, Jackson.