Having ended their barren spell with a win on Saturday, Welling United crashed to a poor defeat at home to Dulwich Hamlet three days later.

Although the came out brightly, once they went behind they struggled with the power and strength of their visitors and ended well beaten.

Dipo Akinyemi fired over from out wide in the early exchanges but it wasn’t long before Dulwich started to cause problems. Jordan Green was played in down the right hand side and he rounded Sam Jackson, who was making his Welling debut in goal, but Tommy Davis got back to clear off the line. Pandemonium followed as Welling blocked a series of shots before James Dayton struck it straight at Jackson who saved.

Jackson was again left exposed on the quarter of an hour mark when a half clearance fell to Quade Taylor and his deflected shot gave the Welling goalkeeper no chance.

Akinyemi had a chance to level in the penalty area but it came to him awkwardly and he was unable to get a clean strike on it. Then Aaron Barnes appeared to have done everything right against his former club but goalkeeper Charlie Grainger made a wonder reaction save to push it away with a firm left hand.

That proved pivotal as, soon after, Dulwich burst to the other end and went two up. Dayton had the initial chance but his blocked effort fell kindly into the path of Chike Kandi and he made no mistake from close range.

Ade Shokunbi produced some Cruyff-like magic to beat his man and burst down the right wing but nobody was able to reach his inviting cross when a touch would have been all that was needed to turn it home   

Soon after the break, Kandi was not adjudged offside when chasing a long ball but Jackson came out quickly to block. However, Welling’s escape was short lived as Dulwich added a third six minutes in. Again, Welling struggled to clear and it fell well for Taylor to crash home his second goal of the night against his former club.

Refusing to lie down, Welling created some opportunities and Grainger made another outstanding save to turn Akinyemi’s free kick round the post. Mason Saunders-Henry delivered the corner but Tom Derry could only head straight into the arms of the grateful Grainger.

Arthur Penney headed over before Welling did reduce the arrears when Akinyemi’s shot was handled in the area and he took the penalty himself, giving Grainger no chance.

Welling were unable to score a second to set up a grandstand finale and might have conceded again in stoppage time but Dayton fired over.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Davis, Penney, Barnes, Shokunbi, Akinyemi, Saunders-Henry, Stevenson (Derry 46). Subs not used: Sims, Pearce, Parish, Campbell.