Cray Wanderers first of four consecutive Tuesday night away games ended in defeat as promotion chasing Lewes put a dent in the Wands battle to avoid relegation with a goal in each half to claim the three points.

The first half looked like ending goalless as the game entered stoppage time but on the stroke of half time Lewes went in front when from a corner Joe Taylor at the near post seemed to get a flick but looked initially looked like the ball had gone into the net via keeper Bailey Vose.   Any hopes Cray had of getting back in the game right after half time were dashed as Razz Coleman-De Graft fired in a sweet strike which in off the left post. 

The game began at a decent pace and Cameron Brodie had an early shot blocked but Lewes edged the opening exchanges and Tom Phipp glanced an effort over and then Deshane Dalling fired just past the right post.  Then Ollie Tanner’s cross to the far post was turned wide by Razz Coleman De-Graft.

The game began to even out but Lewes still just had the edge in terms of openings and a snap shot from Michael Klass was well held by Bailey Vose while Cray were looking to put some good movement together especially down the right and came close to scoring when Luca Albon did well to set up Chris Dickson who found space just outside the area but his curled effort went just over the bar.

With five minutes to go until half time, Lewes just began to exert pressure and Klass set up Tanner for an on target shot which was well pushed out by Vose.  Then from a free kick out on the left, the ball was played to the far post and glanced against the post by Klass with Will Salmon close by.

As the half went into added on time Coleman-De Graft’s shot was deflected behind for a corner. The cross from the right into the six yard box looked to have got a glance goalwards from Joe Taylor but Vose looked to have got the decisive touch.

Lewes started the second half well and were causing a few problems down the left and a cross found Taylor who set up Coleman-De Graft for a shot which was held by Vose.

In the 54th minute, Lewes increased their lead when Coleman De-Graft picked up a loose ball and with space was able to fire in a shot from just inside the area which hit the left post and into the net which perhaps summed up that maybe luck wasn’t going to be on Cray’s side this evening.

Lewes were beginning to look dangerous each time they attacked and Coleman De-Graft set up Taylor for a shot which was deflected through to Vose to save. 

Cray were still in the game but just about but did finish the game well and gave it their all in the last half hour. Jacob Munting and Anthony Cook combined to set up Luca Albon for a stinging shot which forced a good parried save from Lewis Carey and the ball came to Freddy Barton who fired over the bar.

From a free kick out on the right, Barton’s ball into the area was cleared out to Jai Reason who volleyed a shot straight to Carey.  Then Yila and Erald Desa down the left set up Munting who shot wide of goal.

Towards the end, Brodie who had another excellent game for Cray in midfield curled a shot just over from just outside the area. Then a free kick was glanced off target by Reason.  The last real action for the Wands came a couple of minutes from time when Brodie down the right hit a shot which was held by Carey.

The defeat, coupled with Bowers & Pitsea winning meant Cray moved back down into 20th place and now go into a crucial match at Brightlingsea Regent who are one place and one point ahead of Cray on Saturday.     


Cray Wanderers:  Bailey Vose, Freddy Barton, Nazir Bakrin, Tom Hanfrey, Kasim Aidoo, Cameron Brodie, Jacob Munting, Anthony Cook, Luca Albon (Jai Reason, 70), Jamie Yila (Kyel Reid, 84), Chris Dickson (Erald Desa, 75): Subs: Emanuel Oduguwa, Richie Danquah


Att: 570