On a cold Tuesday evening Welling United came back from two down to claim an important point at Braintree Town.

In the first forty-five minutes the Wings had more of the possession and territorial advantage but struggled to find the right final ball, but after going two behind early in the second period they upped their intensity and should probably have won all three points.

Both goalkeepers were given early sighters. Gio Crichlow connected well with a drive but hit it too straight and Jack Sims in the Welling goal held it comfortably. Then Chi Ezennolim controlled an excellent Tommy Davis cross field pass with a deft first touch and drove forward before letting fly but he didn't connect cleanly and Billy Johnson saved with little bother.

Half chances came and went with Dipo Akinyemi giving the Braintree defence a torrid time and it came as a surprise when Braintree opened the scoring ten minutes before half time. Correy Davidson crossed, Sims punched it out under pressure, and it hit Matt Johnson on the head and flew into the net.

Mason Saunders-Henry drew a good save out of Billy Johnson, Ade Shokunbi volleyed wide, and Akinyemi shot on the turn which brought another good save out of Johnson at the expense of a corner.

Things got worse for the Wings immediately after the interval when they failed to deal with a long throw and Kyran Clements forced it home from close range.

Luke Holness had a chance to put the game beyond doubt shortly afterwards but shot wide of the near post.

After that Welling assumed total control despite Braintree's best efforts to disrupt play. Ezennolim burst through but shot wide of the near post then Danny Parish cut in from the left wing but his low shot was saved by Johnson.

Just after the hour mark Welling pulled one back. A corner was nodded back across goal and Akinyemi was in the right place in the right time to head home from close range.

Welling continued to press and after Aaron Barnes had sent a curler just wide he levelled the scoring. Maxwell Statham whipped in an inviting cross and Barnes met it with a firm header that gave Johnson no chance.

Clements headed over from close range for Braintree but it was Welling who continued to probe. Johnson turned a fierce Akinyemi drive round the post before the Wings talisman went close with an overhead effort after Parish pulled it back. Once more Akinyemi chanced his arm but his shot from wide was straight at Johnson who held on comfortably.

Bradley Stevenson was brought on and almost made an immediate impact with a shot that went just wide.

Foin McKeown shot over for Braintree then Stevenson and Akinyemi both did likewise at the other end. Stevenson had one last chance in injury time but his free kick went narrowly over.

Peter Taylor's side has no game on Saturday so the management team have plenty of time to get the injured players fit and the team ready for their derby match at Dartford.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Davis, Penney, Barnes, Shokunbi, Akinyemi, Parish (Stevenson 84), Saunders-Henry (Campbell 88). Subs not used:, Muscatt, Perkins, Jackson.