Although not outplayed by promotion chasing Oxford City, Welling United came out of the game empty handed.

When an entertaining first half ended the score could easily have been three apiece and Welling came out strongly for the second period. However, once Oxford went ahead eleven minutes in, there was only going to be one outcome.

Once an early ball issue had been resolved Welling created the early chances. Dipo Akinyemi found Ade Shokunbi but Mason Saunders-Henry wasn't able to get on the end of it. Olumide Durojaiye had Welling's first goal attempt, but fired into the side netting.

Reece Fleet then made a great block to thwart Saunders-Henry before Aaron Barnes missed a good chance when the ball slid under his boot.

Having failed to take advantage of their early dominance, Welling almost went behind and were relieved when a shot by Jacob Bancroft came back out off the underside of the crossbar. They then gave away a needless free kick and Nana Owusu took aim but was just off target.

Joe Iaciofano profited from a defensive mix up but Arthur Penney got back superbly to scramble it off the line.

It was Welling who finished the half the stronger, though, and they came desperately close to going into the break with a lead when Shokunbi let fly but saw his shot crash out off the post.

Continuing where they left off, Shokunbi laid it back to Durojaiye however, his shot flew high and wide. Akinyemi then got himself into a good position but his low shot was saved well by Ben Dudzinski in the Oxford goal.

Barnes then caught Dudzinski out with a deep cross that clipped the bar on the way over before Oxford stunned the hosts when breaking the stalemate. Iaciofano got clear and made no mistake with a confident finish.

Managerless Oxford then sat on what they had but were dangerous on the counter and Iaciofano went on a strong run before cutting in but could then only blast over from the edge of the area. It was then substitute Elliott Benyon who had an opportunity when getting on the end of a long clearance from Dudzinski, but Jack Sims got down well to make a good save.

Surprisingly, Welling manager Peter Taylor withdrew Shokunbi but his replacement Danny Parish had a half chance that he headed wide. The Wings then had a penalty appeal denied when Penney went down in the area.

Tommy Davis had a late shot saved but it was not to be for Welling and Taylor has to pick his team up quickly ahead of their crucial relegation clash at Braintree Town on Tuesday evening.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Davis, Penney, Barnes (Campbell 65), Shokunbi (Parish 75), Akinyemi, Saunders-Henry, Drais (Stevenson 57). Subs not used: Perkins, Jackson.