Although it was a disappointing result for Welling United their performance against St Albans City was much improved on recent home displays.

Weather conditions were awful with some heavy rain making the pitch boggy but despite all of that the two teams put on an entertaining game.

Both teams came out with positive intent and Welling might have scored in the first minute. Chi Ezennolim sent over an excellent low cross that was just beyond Dipo Akinyemi and Joe Muscatt, arriving late could only flash it wide.

While the Wings were wondering how they weren’t ahead St Albans took the lead. Shaun Jeffers, who scored a nine minute hat-trick when the two teams met earlier in the season, found space on the left and pulled it across goal for wing back Alex Lankshear to smash it home.

Earlier in the season that would have disheartened Welling but this time they came straight back and equalised with still under five minutes on the clock. Muscatt delivered a corner that picked out Danny Parish and he rose well to power his header home.

Ade Shokunbi had a near post effort saved by Michael Johnson then Jack Sims saved from Romeo Akinola as the game ebbed and flowed. Akinola managed to net but it was disallowed for a foul on Sims.

Akinyemi fired wide from a long way out before Akinola had a great chance but his shot was soft and Sims was able to make the save.

Parish’s low drive didn’t cause Johnson too many problems but Welling went ahead with five minutes left before half time. Yannis Drais sent Shokunbi away and he rounded Johnson before tucking it away.

Just as had happened at the start of the match there was an immediate response. Zane Banton pulled it back from the bye-line and Akinola finished with an unstoppable shot. Akinola might have scored again moments later but screwed his effort wide after Lankshear pulled it back.

After the interval Welling had the first real opportunity when Muscatt again found Parish from a corner. Although Johnson was able to punch his header out, under pressure, it came back to Parish but his follow up shot was headed off the line by Lankshear.

Twenty minutes had passed in the second half when the visitors went ahead and yet again it was from a pull back. Banton again got to the bye-line and found Joy Mukena who made no mistake.

Mason Saunders-Henry was introduced and almost had an immediate impact with a fierce shot but Johnson flew across goal to make a brilliant save. Welling continued to try and find an equaliser but St Albans defended well and only an Akinyemi shot that flew wide threatened to stop the Saints from completing the double.

Next Saturday Welling travel to Chelmsford City for another tough National League South match.

Welling United: Sims, Statham, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Perkins (Barnes 74), Penney, Muscatt, Shokunbi (Saunders-Henry 69), Akinyemi, Parish, Drais (Stevenson 60). Subs not used: Campbell, Richards.