In horrendous weather conditions, Welling United suffered their third defeat in eight days when defeated at Hungerford Town.

However, the performance was much improved and had the F.A. Trophy honours been claimed by the visitors, the Crusaders could not have complained.

For once, Welling were the fastest out of the blocks and Aaron Barnes tested Luke Cairney early on.

Chris Flood then had a couple of chances. He snatched at the first and it went wide of the near post before taking advantage of a dubious non offside decision to burst clear but Jack Sims made a save at his feet as the former Crawley Town striker tried to round him.

Joe Muscatt crossed but Che Krabbendam’s flicked volley flew wide of the near post before the Dutchman had another chance but blasted over after Barnes’ cross was cleared into his path.

Ryan Seager had a shot blocked by Maxwell Statham then Jake Evans let fly from well out but Sims saved easily. At the other end Bradley Stevenson had a header saved before Evans had another effort for the hosts with a shot that flew well over.

As the game went into injury time with a goal-less scoreline looking likely, both teams grabbed a goal. Welling went ahead when Krabbendam’s corner was not gathered at the near post by Cairney and Ade Shokunbi pounced to slam home. However, Welling failed to hold on and Hungerford scored within thirty seconds. Seager’s initial shot was saved by Sims but it came out to Flood whose shot was cleared off the line. It came back to Seager and he thrashed it home.

Mason Saunders-Henry replaced Krabbendam at the break and gave Hungerford some different problems. It was Muscatt who had Welling’s first opportunity of the second half, though, and his shot went fractionally wide with Cairney beaten but it came as no surprise when Welling went ahead.

Muscatt was the provider with a slide-rule through ball and Saunders-Henry made no mistake when slotting home. Barnes then hit the side-netting before the Crusaders were gifted a chance to level. There seemed nothing in Bradley Pearce’s challenge in the penalty area but the referee thought otherwise and pointed to the spot. Seager stepped up but Sims anticipated correctly and saved. It came back out to Seager but the Welling goalkeeper recovered quickly to save the follow-up.

Cairney made a flying save to tip over Muscatt’s shot from thirty-five yards out and it looked as though Welling were controlling things.

However, with eleven minutes remaining, Hungerford levelled. A free kick fell kindly for George Smith and he whipped it home.

Then, five minutes later, the game was turned on its head when Hungerford went ahead as Rhys Tyler’s cross was taken by the wind beyond Sims and into the top corner.

Peter Taylor made two substitutions to try and find an equaliser and penalties, but to no avail and Welling’s hopes of a run in the F.A. Trophy were ended.

Welling United: Sims, Barnes, Campbell, Statham, Pearce, Penney, Muscatt (Carr 82), Durojaiye, Stevenson (Parish 85), Krabbendam (Mason-Saunders 46), Shokunbi. Subs not used: Ezennolim, Richards.