Inconsistent Welling United missed the chance to east their way into the top half of the National League South table when crashing to defeat at Bath City.

Prior to this game, Bath had won one and lost seven of their previous eight games but they were good value for the three points this time around. But for some brave Welling defending combined with some poor Romans finishing, the contest would have been over in the first fifteen minutes.

Maxwell Statham did well to stop Cody Cooke from opening the scoring as Alex Fletcher’s cross caused problem’s before Omar Holness missed a glorious opportunity when side footing wide after Zak Delaney had opened Welling up.

Arthur Penney, who was superb throughout, made a brilliant interception from Fletcher’s cross to rob Cooke of a tap-in before further chaos ensued when Fletcher hit the underside of the bar and Cooke’s follow up was cleared off the line.

Having survived the onslaught, Welling started to enjoy a little more possession but their passing lacked tempo and Bath repelled any forward sorties with comparative ease. They continued to have the better of the few chances that came and Cooke had a low diagonal shot saved by Jack Sims.

Cooke crossed for Fletcher but he couldn’t finish under pressure then Cooke looked to be through but Statham recovered superbly to stop him from getting a shot away.

Early in the second half Callum Wood met Elliott Frear’s diagonal free kick at the far post but could only head wide before Welling’s first shot on target was a tame effort by Che Krabbandam that Ryan Clarke saved easily.

Krabbendam was becoming more of a threat at this stage and when he started an attack in which Welling had Bath stretched, Wood hauled him down for a deserved yellow card.

That proved crucial as Bath went ahead shortly after. A corner looked to have been overhit but Frear was alone on the far side of the area and his dipping shot found it’s way into the bottom corner.

Peter Taylor, Welling’s manager, reacted by making a double change and the the pace of play was upped immediately. One of the substitutes, Daniel Carr met Kristian Campbell’s cross and bundled it home but it was a clear handball and it earned him a booking.

Carr put forward his case for a starting place further by chasing a lost cause down successfully and then created a chance for Ade Shokunbi but his shot was charged down. Shokunbi then turned defender when Tom Smith had a shot blocked by him.

Kristian Campbell then tested Clarke twice in quick succession. First he cut in from the left and let fly with a shot that the Bath custodian saw all the way and tipped over. Then he was not picked up from Bradley Stevenson’s quick short corner on the other side and Clarke made a brilliant save to turn his effort over.

As Welling continued to search for an equaliser they left themselves short at the back and were caught out with five minutes remaining. Smith broke down the right and crossed deep for Fletcher to meet with a great finish when firing into the top corner.

To their credit, the Wings continued to search for a goal and Penney glanced home a header to pull one back but it was too little too late and Welling made the long journey home empty handed.

Welling United: Sims, Barnes (Assidjo 86), Penney, Durojaiye, Pearce, Statham, Shokunbi, Stewart (Stevenson 66), Akinyemi (Carr 66), Krabbendam, Campbell. Subs not used: Ezennolim, Richards.