Three second half Hampton and Richmond Borough goals ended Welling United’s three game unbeaten run after the Wings had looked so good in the first half.

They appeared to be well in control when two up at the break but eight minutes of mayhem meant that they finished empty handed at Park View Road.

Peter Taylor’s team got off to a slow start and goalkeeper Jack Sims was in action early on when saving from David Fisher who got in behind far too easily. He was again busy when some penalty area pinball included a point blank range block from Jorome Slew.

However, Welling grew into the game and opened the scoring. Two Kristian Campbell corners caused discomfort in the Hampton area and after they had been cleared unconvincingly, his third one picked out Dipo Akinyemi who headed home.

Fisher shot wide for the visitors before Welling increased their lead. With their centre backs still up from a corner, a cross was headed out and Che Krabbendam led the counter-attack. He burst forward before finding Akinyemi whose low cross picked out Ade Shokunbi and he took his time before firing home.

Jake Gray shot over for Hampton before Akinyemi spun and shot but straight at Alan Julian who saved gratefully. Julian was called into action once more before the break when saving Akinyemi’s attempt to slot it beyond him.

Having finished on the attack, Welling started the second period as slowly as they did the first and Sims was required to save from Ryan Gondoh. He then did well to clear a difficult corner before again saving from Gondoh after the Hampton man was allowed to cut in and get a shot away.

Just shy of the hour mark, the Beavers pulled one back. A goalmouth scramble ended with Gray bundling it home.

Four minutes later, Gondoh again cut in before firing into the bottom corner then after a further four minutes, Ruaridh Donaldson headed down for Niko Muir to finish from close range.

Substitute Daniel Carr was off target for Welling before another Gondoh shot was struck straight at Sims. Jack Knight had a header beaten away by the Welling custodian before the Wings thought that they might have nicked a point when Daniel Parish netted but it was disallowed for offside.

Deep into injury time, Sims made a miraculous save to keep out Sam Deadfield’s effort.

Taylor will now have to lift his troops ahead of their game at home to Billericay Town on Saturday.

Welling United: Sims, Barnes, Ezennolim, Durojaiye, Pearce, Statham, Shokunbi, Stewart (Muscatt 73), Akinyemi (Carr 64), Krabbendam (Parish 64), Campbell. Subs not used: Assidjo, Pepe.