In a game that had massive importance to both sides, Bromley claimed the three points with an excellent victory over Hartlepool United.

Jude Arthurs scored the only goal to push Bromley back into the play-off zone whilst denting the Pools’ championship ambitions.

After Hartlepool’s Luke Armstrong had a shot blacked by Charlie Fox, Bromley missed a great chance when Ben Williamson broke through two tackles to find himself one on one with just Henrich Ravas to beat but the Pools’ keeper stood tall and made the block.

Ryan Donaldson then created Hartlepool’s first clear cut chance when cutting in from the right and shooting with his left but Mark Cousins made a flying save at the expense of a corner.

Frankie Raymond caused problems with a trade mark free kick which was half cleared. It was knocked back in and Michael Cheek finished well but the Pools’ defence had come out quickly and left the league’s leading marksman offside.

As the end to end football continued Gavan Holohan burst down the left and cut in but snatched at his shot and dragged it wide of the near post.

Williamson created another half chance for himself with a good turn but shot straight at Ravas and the Pools’ stopper saved comfortably. However, Bromley had a great opportunity soon after when Raymond crossed from the left and Arthurs flung himself at it but could not guide it home from six yards out.

Donaldson’s crosses from the right wing continued to cause Bromley problems and twice, Joe Kizzi had to make crucial interventions but it was the hosts who broke the deadlock four minutes before the break. Raymond found Jack Bridge in space on the left wing and from his cross Arthurs met it at the near post to head beyond a helpless Ravas.

Nicky Featherstone had the first shooting chance of the second period when given space from twenty yards out but his low shot went wide then Bridge caused havoc in the Hartlepool penalty area before chipping across but Jamie Sterry made a crucial header out as Williamson closed in.

Sterry was then in action at the other end when he angled in a cross but Harvey Saunders was well off target with his header before substitute Luke Molyneux cut in from the right wing and fired a shot towards the far post but Cousins dived to beat out double fisted.

Cousins did well to turn away a David Ferguson cross that was made more difficult by the swirling wind before his stunning double save kept the Ravens ahead. He first saved from Donaldson and when it came out, Armstrong looked certain to score but Cousins recovered to tip the ball onto the post and back into his arms.

Substitute Liam Trotter stabbed an effort just over after Chris Bush’s corner held up in the wind and caused chaos and Bromley again came close to finishing the games as a contest when Cheek headed Billy Bingham’s cross back across the face of goal. James Alabi met it at the far post but Ravas made a brilliant point blank stage.

Hartlepool’s misery was completed when Gary Liddle was dismissed for a second bookable offence and Cheek might have scored a second with virtually the last kick of the match but fired over from close range after being set up by Arthurs.

Next Saturday, Bromley visit league leaders Bromley in the first of four consecutive away games before they finish with a home game against Notts County.

Bromley: Cousins, Kizzi, Fox, Bingham, Mitchell, Bush, Arthurs, Raymond (Trotter 68), Cheek, Williamson (Alabi 61), Bridge (Holland 90+2). Subs not used: Coulson, Campbell.