Welling bounced back from their disappointment at Dorking on Saturday with a thrilling four-three derby win over Ebbsfleet United.

Steve Lovell will have wanted a reaction and that’s exactly what he got. They showed tremendous character, especially when pegged back from three-one to three all and deserved their winner with five minutes of regulation time remaining.

Reice Charles-Cook made two excellent saves in the first two minutes to thwart Lee Martin and Jack Paxman but it was Welling who drew first blood. Olumide Durojaiye put Dipo Akinyemi away and Gio Bellagambi made a brilliant save pushing it onto the post. However, Durojaiye had followed up and tucked it away.

There were goal attempts at both ends before Ebbsfleet equalised with a long range missile of a shot from Bobby-Joe Taylor which nestled in the bottom corner.

Anthony Cook almost put Welling back ahead against his former club but Bellagambi made a spectacular save. That proved to be a temporary reprieve as Welling scored from the corner. Darren Oldaker’s delivery caused a massive scramble and Akinyemi scored with a spectacular overhead kick.

Although there were no more first half goals, there was a major talking point just before half time when a ball over the top sent Akinyemi through. Bellagambi raced out and flattened the Welling striker but with everyone expecting referee Jack Packman to produce his red card, he showed incredible leniency by raising a yellow.

Three minutes into the second half, Welling were awarded a penalty. Jake Goodman dithered and tripped Cook who had caught him in possession and a spot kick was awarded. Akinyemi had to wait for over a minute before taking it but held his nerve and sent Bellagambi the wrong way.

Both teams had chances before the Fleet pulled one back on the hour mark. As has been their problem so often this season, Welling failed to clear a corner and substitute Dominik Poleon stabbed home from close range.

Goodman thought that he had atoned for his earlier error when heading home from Lee Martin’s free kick but the flag was up for offside and the strike was chalked out.

Poleon then came close but his shot came back off the post then Charles-Cook made a great save from Rakish Bingham. Eventually, their pressure paid off when with eleven minutes remaining, Will Wood found the bottom corner with a fine finish.

With the momentum now firmly in their favour, Ebbsfleet looked favourites to go on and win it but Welling showed their mettle and stunned their full time opponents when Kristian Campbell’s deflected shot won the game with five minutes remaining.

The Wings are due to be back in action on Saturday when hosting Bath City but with the Romans not playing at present, they may have to make alternative arrangements.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Johnson, Green, Durojaiye, Doe (Strachan 35), Gordon (Shokunbi 65), Cook, Murrell-Williamson (Della-Verde 80), Akinyemi, Oldaker, Campbell. Subs not used: Vose, Barrington.