There was further disappointment for Welling as they fell to defeat at home to St. Albans City.

Despite going behind on the half hour mark, they looked like they were still in the game until they conceded a highly controversial penalty on the stroke of half time. Defeat leaves them still at the foot of the Vanarama National League South.

Injury to Nathan Green meant that another Welling debut was awarded with Sam Mvembe coming in at left back.

Neither side created much in the early stages with only a David Noble free kick that was well saved by Reice Charles-Cook threatening a goal.

On twenty-nine minutes, St Albans went ahead with a scrappy goal when it fell kindly for Shaun Jeffers in the penalty area and he took full advantage with a calm finish.

That seemed to stir the Wings and they St. Albans goalkeeper Michael Johnson in inspired form.

Lionel Ainsworth fed on Lyle Della-Verde’s blocked shot and measured his effort towards the far post however Johnson got down to turn it round the post.

Joe Taylor then burst through but his fierce shot was again saved well by the St. Albans custodian.

However, Johnson’s best save was the next one. Rhys Murrell-Williamson showed good quick feet in the penalty area before prodding it into the path of Taylor. He looked certain to score but Johnson again made a great save.

Almost on the stroke of half time, Welling conceded a penalty that had everyone scratching their heads. If anything, it looked as though Mitchell Weiss had fouled Chiori Johnson but the referee saw something that nobody else spotted and pointed to the spot. Jeffers stepped up and converted confidently.

The second half started with another Welling debut with Billy Bennett replacing Della-Verde but, like the first half, it was a cagey start to the half.

Taylor spun and shot from the edge of the area but Johnson saved comfortably. Then, at the other end, Weiss burst through but hit the stanchion from the outside.

Once more, Taylor had an opportunity to open his Welling account but he was unable to direct his header goalwards and that was the end of Welling’s challenge.

They might have conceded again when Ricky Shakes half volleyed over. Then Jeffers had a great opportunity to complete his hat-trick in the final minute when sent clear through but Charles-Cook was out quickly to make a brave block

Welling are back in action next Tuesday when they host St. Albans City at Park View Road.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Johnson, Mvembe, Della-Verde (Bennett 45), O’Mara, Strachan, Shokunbi, Blackman, Taylor, Ainsworth (Akinyemi 78), Murrell-Williamson (Simon 65). Subs not used: Hobbs, Ilic.