At the sixth time of asking, much improved Welling United earned their first victory of the season with a hard fought victory at Hemel Hempstead Town.

Despite having an artificial surface, the constant teeming rain caused the ball to not run at a constant speed and the high winds made it all the more difficult. In the circumstances, both sides deserve credit for putting on an entertaining game.

In the first half, Stephen Duke-McKenna was a big threat to the Wings and he had the first chance of the game when he hooked a volley over from Reggie Young’s cross. He then tricked his way into a shooting position but fired straight at Reise Charles-Cook.

Rowan Liburd had Welling’s first opening but headed wide from Nathan Green’s cross then Lyle Della-Verde tried to catch the Tudors’ keeper Danny Boness out but his thirty-five yard effort flew over.

Young had a great chance for the hosts when meeting a deep cross by Gus Scott-Morriss but he was unable to keep it down

Nathan Cooper shot straight at Charles-Cook after Duke-McKenna’s free kick was half cleared before Welling were back on the attack and Boness made an excellent save from Anthony Cook’s low free kick.

Soon after, Welling went ahead. A cross was not defended well and it fell into the path of the excellent Ade Shokunbi and he showed his pedigree with a composed finish.

Mustapha Olagunju made an important clearance from Chris Paul to keep the Wings ahead before Duke-McKenna drew a good low save out Charles-Cook.

At the interval, Brad Quinton made a change for Welling, bringing on Stefan Ilic for Ayo Tanimowo but within five minutes, the scores were level. Scott-Morriss aimed a cross at Matt Bateman but Olagunju could only turn it into his own net as he tried to defend it.

After Green had a goal-bound shot blocked, Welling went back ahead when Della-Verde scored his second goal in two games with a drive that flew over Boness and into the roof of the net.

Welling’s defence held firm after that and rarely looked like being breached. A long range effort from Scott-Morriss sailed over but Welling continued to create chances and Della-Verde might have put the game to bed but side-footed Green’s cross over.

Della-Verde then made an audacious effort from a tight angle that failed to trouble Boness but Welling’s work-rate ensured that they saw the game out although Luke Hobbs was called into making a brave block in the closing minutes.

Four points in the last two games has not moved Welling too far up the table but if they are able to defeat Billericay Town on Tuesday night they will start to climb up the league.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Tanimowo (Ilic 45), Green, Beeden, Hobbs, Olagunju, Shokunbi, Blackman, Liburd (Akinyemi 79), Della-Verde (Ainsworth (88), Cook. Subs not used: Ward-Cochrane, Headley.