Welling United’s disappointing start to the season continued with a heavy defeat at home to Chelmsford City.

Their defensive frailties were again evident from dead ball situations whilst they failed to make the most of some very good opportunities.

Dipo Akinyemi had the first chance with a powerful shot at the near post but Lee Worgan was able to beat it out to safety. Then Rowan Liburd was too strong for the Chelmsford defence and he played it back to Reuben Duncan but he placed his twenty-yarder over.

At the other end Alex Teniola got on the end of a good swift move but could not direct his first time effort on target then Akinyemi drew a good save out of Worgan as he tried to curl it inside the far post.

Former Wing, Cameron James was twice off target from long range before Akinyemi got in behind down the left hand side but was falling as he let fly and shot wide of the near post.

Just before half time, the Clarets broke the dead-lock. Phil Roberts contested a loose ball in the penalty area and was felled by Anthony Cook. Teniola took the responsibility and fired a powerful spot kick into the top corner.

It should have been two shortly after the break but Adebola Oluwo fired over from point blank range however, Welling’s escape was short lived and they again conceded when failing to clear from a free kick. Reice Charles-Clarke made an excellent save from Anthony Church but eventually it came back to Church and he made no mistake from close range second time around.

Liburd might have reduced the arrears shortly afterwards when bursting through but his low shot was kept out by Worgan’s outstretched left leg.

Brad Quinton, Welling’s manager, made his final change having previously made a double substitution when bringing on Ben Ward-Cochrane for Akinyemi and the debutant almost made an immediate impact when meeting a Cook near post corner but his flick went into the side netting.

Another free kick proved to be Welling’s downfall when they conceded a third goal. Callum Harrison delivered deep from the right hand side and Church evaded his designated marker and slotted home from close range.

Worgan was called into action once more when a strong hand pushed over Liburd’s fierce drive before Welling gifted the Clarets with a fourth. A terrible attempt to pass out was intercepted inside the Wings’ penalty area by Adam Liddle and he had a simple task in putting it into the empty net.

Adam Morgan might have made it worse but shot wide before Cook had the final goal attempt but he was well wide from a long way out.

The Wings are back in action on Tuesday night looking to end their bad run when visiting Concord Rangers.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Hobbs, Green, Duncan (Headley 55), Boateng, Olagunju, Cook, Blackman, Akinyemi (Ward-Cochrane 66), Liburd, Ainsworth (Ilic 55). Subs not used: Shokunbi, Ryan.