Dreams of the play-offs may be over now, as Millwall fail to win for the third game in a row since lockdown.

Despite an improved performance, the points were shared with fellow play-off hopefuls Swansea City.

Rowett will be happy with his side’s reaction to their last home performance, but they didn’t have the quality to secure the win.

Millwall came into this game in dire need of three points after a slow restart to football since lockdown. Last weekend’s away draw to Barnsley was very much two points dropped for Rowett’s side, who were looking to make up the five-point gap to Cardiff City in 6th with a win.

Ryan Woods was the only change, coming in for Jayson Molumby, the all-action Irishman being rested ahead of a busy spell for the Lions.

Retaining their 5-2-3 shape, it was clear that Millwall were looking to sit deep and counter against Simon Cooper’s technical Swansea City. The home side conceded possession to the Welsh outfit but hit them with an aggressive press and a few early challenges. It was clear that Rowett didn’t want these visitors having the same level of comfort that Derby County found last time out.

Despite dominating possession early on, Swansea were finding hit hard to play through Millwall, resorting to long balls in search of Liverpool loanee Rhian Brewster, with little success.

Millwall looked much more organised than in their last home game, and much more energetic, as they took the lead through a lightning counterattack.

Mahlon Romeo won the ball with an excellent tackle in midfield, before setting off Mason Bennett. Bennett combined with Jed Wallace, who put the ball on a plate for the on loan forward at the second attempt, finishing emphatically on 20 minutes for his first Millwall goal.

Millwall took the lead for their second home game in a row, but Swansea almost hit back. Matt Grimes’ floated free kick was met by Ben Wilmott. His header found an unmarked Brewster, whose mishit finish was cleared off the line by a covering Jake Cooper.

The Lions kept pressing Swansea and looked on top going into half time. Clever balls in behind from Ferguson and Williams brought half chances, but it remained 1-0 at half time.

The energy remained the same from Millwall in the second half, however the away side began to grow in confidence, dominating the ball and increasing their territory in Millwall’s half.

Swansea drew level, through a mixture of skill and fortune, as Rhian Brewster’s free kick rebounded off of the bar and then Bartosz Bialkowski, to find its way into the net. A stroke of bad luck for the ever-relaible Polish stopper, but perhaps a stroke of luck for Millwall, as Hutchinson escaped a second yellow card for his initial foul.

There was a good reaction from Millwall, who went searching for a second. Tom Bradshaw was incredulous when he had soft claims for a penalty waved away on 72 minutes, while Murray Wallace had his head in his hands when he put a free header wide a couple of minutes later.

It was certainly Millwall who looked the most likely to take the three points, keep Swansea under pressure, but the hosts struggled to carve out any clear chances. Murray Wallace once again went close with a header from a corner, this time his effort striking the base of the post.

That was as good as Millwall could muster, as the game ended in stalemate. It is a point that doesn’t help either side, who both lose ground on their play-off hopes.


Millwall:  Bialkowski; Romeo, Hutchinson, Cooper, M. Wallace, Ferguson; Williams, Woods; J. Wallace, Bradshaw (Smith 85), Bennett  (Mahoney 45).

Subs: Steele, Leonard, Molumby, Pearce, Skalak,, Thompson.

Swansea City: Woodman; Bidwell, Wilmott (Guehi 82), Cabango, Naughton; Grimes, Byers; Dhanda (Celina 59), Gallagher, Ayew; Brewster.

Subs: Cullen, Dyer, Fulton, Kalulu, Mulder, Roberts, Routledge.