Welling United continued their climb away from the relegation zone with a hard fought victory over Chippenham Town.

Although far from a classic, Welling had just enough to win the game in very blustery conditions.

Brad Quinton made two changes from the team that beat Dulwich Hamlet with Rob Swaine coming back for the injured Romoney Crichlow-Noble and Bradley Rolt replacing Philip Roberts following a week of illness.

Chippenham came out of the blocks the quicker and Chris Zebroski fired wide from distance before Welling had touched the ball.

Scott Twine had a long shot deflected but Dan Wilks had plenty of time to get down and behind it.

Luke Russe then crossed from the right and Nat Jarvis glanced a header that came back off the far post before Welling got into the game.

Brad Goldberg did superbly to break through two tackles and create a shooting chance but Will Puddy beat it out with his boot and Dipo Akinyemi saw his follow up charged wide.

Akinyemi came close again soon after but as he let fly Curtis McDonald got across to make a brilliant block.

Cameron James then found space and went for a side footer into the bottom corner but he was unable to get his foot around it and it went wide.

At the other end Jarvis got beyond the back four but his low pull back was cut out well by Wilks.

Twine had another chance when a corner was cleared out to him in space but he flashed his shot wide of the far post.

Callum Gunner’s wild shot went high and wide before referee Isaac Searle ran out of patience with the constant complaints from the Chippenham contingent and booked Jarvis before having a lengthy word with their assistant manager Marc McGregor.

Almost immediately, Welling broke the deadlock. Nathan Green’s long diagonal ball just failed to pick out James but Akinyemi was alert and tucked it away at the far post.

However, having gone ahead, Welling appeared to lose concentration and conceded a free kick on the edge of the area but Twine fired over.

Just as they did in the first half, the visitors came out quickly at the start of the second period and Zebroski picked out Jarvis but his first time shot was off target.

Gunner then troubled pedestrians going about their Saturday afternoon business with a wild shot out of the ground before Rhys Tyler’s low shot drew a good save from Wilks.

Zebroski wasted another good chance on the break when shooting wide of the post before Welling regained some control in midfield.

Substitute Montel Agyemang was a big factor in that and his brilliant pass sent Anthony Cook away down the right wing and Puddy had to be on his toes to beat out Cook’s powerful near post drive.

Russe fired well over from thirty yards out before Welling closed out the game with relevant comfort and Agyemang had the last shot on target but Puddy saved.

Quinton now has a week to prepare for Welling’s next challenge, at home to Havant and Waterlooville next Saturday.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson, Green, Joseph, Swaine, Wright, James (Agyemang 66), Rolt, Akinyemi (Henry 86), Goldberg (Dymond 90), Cook. Subs not used: Coombes, Roberts.