Charlton moved further from the drop zone after a shock 1-0 win at the City ground courtesy of a first-half strike by Lyle Taylor.

Lee Bowyer’s Addicks came into the game off the back of a 3-1 defeat away at Stoke and without an away win in twelve matches.

Meanwhile, Sabri Lamouchi made five changes to a Forest side which convincingly beat Leeds 2-0 at the City Ground on Saturday.

It was a bright start for the visitors who came close to opening the scoring early on when Alfie Doughty’s dangerous low cross, forced a goal-saving challenge from Forest defender Joe Worrall.

The hosts failed to turn attacking moments into clear cut chances in the early stages of the match, whilst the Addicks nearly scored through a Doughty attempt which was certain for the top corner, had it not been for a good save by Forest keeper Brice Samba.

Although Forest provided much of the early pressure, it was Charlton who took the lead in the 24th minute of the game. Naby Sarr dispossessed Joe Lolley before dribbling down the left and crossing the ball to the far post, where Taylor met the ball and converted from a few yards out.

The home side were almost level just one minute later when Sarr almost scored a spectacular own-goal, when he attempted to clear his lines from a Carl Jenkinson cross.

Addicks fans were left with their heart in their mouth and were only saved when the ball hit the crossbar, before going over.

Forest hit the woodwork once again before the interval when Tyler Walker’s effort hit the far past, following a ball in from Adama Diakhaby.

Chances were a premium in what was a disjointed second half of the game. The visitors wasted some good attacking positions, whilst Tomer Hemed certainly did not have his best night in front of goal, squandering opportunities for the Addicks.

In their best chance of the second half, Nottingham Forest striker Tyler Walker was unable to properly connect with a cross from substitute Matty Cash which saw the ball land easily into the arms of the Charlton goalkeeper.

The Addicks held on for a precious three points and secured their first away win in twelve matches to move six points clear of the bottom three.

Man of the match - Lyle Taylor

Teams :

Nottingham Forest : Samba, Jenkinson, Worrall, Figueiredo, Bong (Cash 59’), Watson (c), Yates (da Costa 69’), Silva (Semedo 59’), Diakhaby, Lolley, Walker ; SUBS : Muric, Semedo, Dawson, Cash, Carvalho, Mighten, Da Costa. (4-2-3-1).

Charlton : Phillips, Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce (c), Sarr, Doughty (Purrington 60’), Cullen, Davis, Oztumer (McGeady 59’), Hemed (Smith 73’), Taylor ; SUBS : Amos, Purrington, Oshilaja, Smith, McGeady, Aneke, Bonne. (3-5-2).

Referee : Darren Bond

Attendance : 28,029 (805 away)