Charlton’s hopes for survival took another blow as they dropped to 21st in the Championship table following defeat to fellow strugglers Stoke City.

Ben Purrington cancelled out James McClean’s opener on the stroke of half time but goals from Tom Ince and Nick Powell helped secure three points.

Although Wigan failed to move closer to safety after losing to Preston North End in the early kick-off, Huddersfield Town climbed above Charlton and Stoke into 19th with victory at home to Queens Park Rangers.

Only one of Charlton’s two deadline day loan signings were involved, with David Davis being handed his debut and Aiden McGeady staying home through illness, as Lee Bowyer made two changes to the side which beat Barnsley 2-1 last weekend.

Spirits were certainly high following Charlton's last victory but it was Stoke who took the game into their own hands through a largely dominant first half.

After Jason Pearce and Tom Lockyer produced crucial blocks towards their own goal, Purrington denied a stinging Joe Allen volley inside his own box in what was another scoring opportunity.

Addicks captain Pearce then narrowly failed to head in Josh Cullen’s inviting corner for what was one of Charlton’s best chances to score in the game.

Stoke drew first blood on 28 minutes as a well-worked set-piece saw Powell head Sam Clucas’ free-kick back across goal for McClean to tap home.

The goal had been coming for the Potters and they could have doubled their advantage had debutant James Chester headed in from Tommy Smith’s right-wing cross.

But Charlton hit back in first-half injury time when Purrington poked the ball past Jack Butland from Andre Green’s inch-perfect cross.

Having been on the ropes at times during the first 45 minutes, the Addicks had got themselves back on level terms when few would have expected it.

It did not stay level for long though as, less than a minute into the restart, Stoke went ahead again.

Allen managed to slide the ball beyond the Charlton defence and into the path of Ince to finish past the outstretched Dillon Phillips.

The game’s momentum looked to have shifted from that point on and the hosts made sure to not led their lead vanish again when they added a third on 66 minutes.

Tyrese Campbell found Tommy Smith on the edge of the box, whose driven cross to the near post was dispatched by Nick Powell.

Lyle Taylor went close to pulling one back in injury time when he fired just wide of the post but Stoke were in firm control to see the game out.

Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington (Doughty 72); Pratley, Cullen, Davis; Williams (Oztumer 72), Green, Taylor.

Subs not used: Amos, Field, Hemed, Sarr, Smith.

Attendance: 23,508 (1,934 away).