Bromley’s dip in form continued on Saturday afternoon at Hayes Lane as they were edged out of a closely fought game by a well drilled, professional Barnet side who were too strong for The Ravens to handle in the second half.

Neil Smith’s side made a positive start to the game, pressing from the kick off with the lively Corey Whitely setting up Josh Rees whose shot was saved by Scott Loach.

Rees was denied again by Loach after good link up play from Ben Williamson, before Michael Cheek then crossed for Williamson who was just unable to make contact with the ball at the far post.

Barnet then came back into the game, Elliott Johnson went close with a free kick, before Ryan Huddart made a good save from Cheye Alexander.

The Bees then took the lead just before the half hour when Chris Bush gave the ball away in the middle of the pitch to Josh Walker who raced clear of the Bromley defence and then clipped the ball past Huddart to put the visitors in front.

Barnet then had a strong spell with Dan Sweeney firing wide and Dave Winfield making a superb tackle to deny Simeon Akinola as he was about to shoot on goal.

With only two minutes left in the half out of nowhere Bromley found and way back in with an equaliser, when Whitely set up Rees who curled a superb effort past Loach and just inside the post from ten yards out to level the scores at the break.

The second half started with Joe Kizzi having a shot saved by Loach from a corner, but from their Barnet went on to have a strong spell of pressure.

As Bromley’s defence back off the ball came into Akinola and he controlled the ball brilliantly before drilling it into the roof of the net giving Huddart no chance.

The Ravens looked lost from there, unable to find any pattern of play or shape, the closest they came to drawing level again was when Kizzi crossed for Williamson whose sliding effort was saved by Loach at his near post and then Luke Coulson scuffed a chance wide.

Smith changed the teams shape from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2, but it had little impact, with the lack of creativity out wide.

Barnet managed the game well, breaking up play and making it scrappy, with several breaks for treatment to Bees players.

In the end Bromley didn’t have enough to find a way through Darren Currie’s in form side who have now gone nine game un beaten.

Bromley stay fourth in the National League and now have a week to prepare for their trip to AFC Halifax Town next Saturday, knowing that they may even drop out of the top seven unless they can get a positive result.

Bromley: Huddart, Winfield, Bush, Kizzi, Wood, Coulson, Raymond (Chambers 75), Rees, Whitely (Higgs 59), Williamson (Clifton 75), Cheek. Subs Not Used: Najia, Coker.

Barnet: Loach, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Dunne, Adams, Akinola, Fonguck (Vilhete 72), Walker (Elita 86), Tutonda, Sweeney. Subs Not Used: Azaze, Sparkes, Mason-Clarke.

Goals: Bromley – Rees 43mins. Barnet – Walker 26, Akinola 53mins

Ref: Mr Matthew Russell

HT 1-1 FT 1-2

Att: 2.035

Report: Colin Head