Charlton and Fulham played out a goalless draw in a game void of chances at The Valley.

On a day when the London derby felt like a side show to the news that Lee Bowyer had signed a three-year deal at the club, both sides looked content with a point.

The visitors looked the more likely to snatch a win and should’ve with defender Michael Hector missing the best chance of the game early in the second half.

On a positive note for the Addicks, the clean sheet was the first registered in 17 games.

Fulham settled into their stride early, dominating possession, but playing in front of Charlton.

Bobby Decordova-Reid forced Addicks keeper Dillon Phillips into two good saves early on, one form distance and one from close range after Tom Cairney slipped him through after beating the off-side trap.

Bowyer’s men weathered the early pressure and grew into the tie, largely thanks to the foraging runs of Alfie Doughty down the flank.

Despite finally getting their foot on the ball the Addicks were wasteful, with Ehurn Oztumer and Josh Cullen guilty of squandering dead ball opportunities.

Charlton should’ve found themselves a goal down shortly after the interval, but Michael Hector could only find the side netting with his free header following a corner.

It should’ve served as a wake-up call for Bowyer’s side who have a tendency to switch off after the re-start, but moments later Jason Pearce nearly gifted Fulham the lead after being caught in possession, only to be bailed out by defensive partner Tom Lockyer.

Sloppiness was contagious it seemed, as Harry Arter’s slack pass forced Marek Rodak, who had been a bystander for the opening half, into a decent stop at his near post from Alfie Doughty.

Looking toothless, Bowyer turned to Jonny Williams, Lyle Taylor and Andre Green from the bench to add more impetus to his side.

Although chances were at a premium they looked a menace on the counter attack, with Cyrus Christie stopping a sure-fire Williams strike late on after cutting out Taylor’s dangerous cross.

With both sides looking unlikely to break the deadlock, points were shared.  



Charlton: Phillips, Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Cullen, Morgan (Williams 62’), Oztumer (Green 80’), Doughty, Hemed (Taylor 70’) SUBS: Maynard-Brewer, Williams, Oshilaja, Taylor, Green, Sarr, Dempsey

Fulham: Rodak, Hector, Odoi, Ream, Bryan, McDonald, Arter (Christie 74’), Onomah (Stansfield 87’), Cavaleiro, Cairney (Johansen 77’), Decordova-Reid SUBS: Bettinelli, Johansen, Kongolo, Christie, De La Torre, Sessegnon, Stansfield

Referee: Stephen Martin

Attendance: 16,424 (Away - 2337)