Welling United climbed out of the bottom two with a hard earned victory over Hungerford Town.

That completed the double over the Vanarama National South basement club whilst giving Bradley Quinton his first win as Welling manager.

Huddersfield Town loanee Romoney Crichlow-Noble was given his debut at centre half in a much changed line-up from the previous week.

It took just eight minutes for Welling to go ahead. Dipo Akinyemi knocked a cross down and Anthony Cook’s shot took a deflection to help it into the back of the net.

Nathan Green then fired over from Aaron Cosgrave’s lay-off before the visitors came into the game. Bradley Webb got in behind but Dan Wilks was out quickly to make a great block.

However, in their next attack, Hungerford drew level. Ralph Graham got up well and although his header came back off the bar, Liam Ferdinand was first to the rebound to fire home from close range.

Cook missed a good chance when side-footing over before Welling again went ahead.

Cameron James collected a pass just inside the Hungerford half and surged forward, jinking through three challenges, before he placed his shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Graham blasted a first time effort into Danson Park as the Crusaders looked to restore parity then Ferdinand got through but Wilks was again out quickly to block with his feet.

Matt Jones spotted Wilks off his line and tried his luck from forty yards but Wilks back-tracked quickly and palmed it out to avoid carrying it into the net before regaining his balance and collecting it.

Just before half time, Welling missed another great chance. Cook went on a long run and when tackled it fell to Akinyemi but he fired over from ten yards.

Early in the second period, Green had a fierce drive turned away before the game became a midfield battle with both sides struggling to create chances. Diaz Wright fired wide from distance before Hungerford levelled with fifteen minutes remaining. A cross was headed out and the danger looked over but Matt Jones hit a long shot first time that flew just inside the post.

Substitute Korrey Henry’s header came back off the bar before Welling made a double substitution which included a debut for Bradley Rolt and he was involved in their winner with four regulation minutes remaining. He controlled Wright's pass and laid it off to James. He slid Henry through and his low angled cross was bundled home by Wright from close range.

A Green shot flew across the face of goal before James sent Philip Roberts away but he fired over.

Now come two away games for Welling and Quinton will be looking to improve their poor record on the road.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond, Green, Crichlow-Noble, Joseph, Wright, James, Cosgrave (Rolt 82), Akinyemi (Henry 69), Goldberg (Roberts 82), Cook. Subs not used: McCallum, Johnson.