Andre Green and Patrick Bauer scored against their respective former clubs as Preston North End came back from a goal down to see off Charlton.

Green, who is on loan from Aston Villa, edged the visitors in front with his first goal for the Addicks after five minutes at Deepdale.

But Josh Harrop’s stunning equaliser got Preston back on level terms before play-off hero Bauer overturned the deficit after half-time.

Charlton, who are on a run of five games without a win in all competitions, are 19th in the league table, having taken 29 points from 28 games so far.

Jonny Williams was handed his first start since returning from injury as Lee Bowyer made just one change for the trip up north to Lancashire.

The Wales international, who was out for two months with a knee injury, came off the bench in the 1-0 FA Cup defeat to West Bromwich Albion on January 5.

Charlton sought to end a miserable run of 10 league games without a win away from home when they drew first blood five minutes in.

The visitors put together a neat move down the left side before youngster Alfie Doughty teed up Green for a finish inside the six-yard box.

Preston struggled to respond as their own fans grew restless.

Williams’ sloppy pass eventually led to Scott Sinclair forcing a save out of goalkeeper Dillon Phillips, before Daniel Johnson blazed a half-chance over the bar.

The hosts broke Charlton’s resistance after 30 minutes when Manchester United academy graduate Harrop curled home into the top corner from the edge of the box.

And Charlton could have gone behind moments later as Phillips spilled Sinclair’s effort before he pounced onto the loose ball.

Harrop’s equaliser breathed confidence into Preston. Former Addicks defender Bauer glanced a header towards goal that Phillips was equal to leading into the half-time break.

Following a bright start to the second half, Preston then completed their comeback on 52 minutes when Bauer headed powerfully from Harrop’s inviting corner delivery.

The German defender scored a 94th-minute winner in last May’s League One play-off final to send Charlton up, but he refused to celebrate as his team-mates did around him.

Bowyer made all three of his substitutions within the space of six minutes as Charlton came close on occasion to restoring parity.

After Sinclair fired over following an impressive solo run, Josh Davison nearly volleyed towards goal from close-range but failed to connect properly with the bouncing loose ball.

But Preston did not rest on their laurels as Phillips got down low brilliantly to deny Tom Barkhuizen following a neat move down the left side.

The Addicks won a corner in injury time but Darren Pratley headed over the bar.

Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Lockyer, Oshilaja (Morgan 61), Sarr, Doughty; Dempsey, Pratley (capt.), Williams (Oztumer 61); Green (Hemed 67), Davison.

Subs not used: Maynard-Brewer (GK), Pearce and Purrington.