A defensive horror show saw The Ravens fall to defeat against Eastleigh at a very wet and blustery Hayes Lane on Saturday afternoon.

The game started with both sides looking to attack and Bromley had a strong shoUt for a penalty early on when Adam Mekki was brought down in the box by Andrew Boyce, but Referee Bourne waved the appeals away.

With play open and going from end to end, it was The Ravens who got the breakthrough on 20 minutes when Luke Coulson played in Michael Cheek who held off the challenge of Rob Atkinson to coolly slot the ball past Max Stryjek to put the home side in front.

Coulson had an effort saved soon after, but after a quiet spell the visitors drew level in bizarre circumstances when Tyrone Barnett’s cross was headed past his own keeper by Bromley debutant Dave Winfield, the centre back directing his header wide of Ryan Huddart and into the corner of the net.

Eastleigh took the attacking initiative from there, Barnett had a shot deflected over and slid in to direct a Joe Partington cross just wide soon after, but he soon found the target just before the break when he was given time and space in the box to control the ball, turn and place his shot into the far corner of the goal, giving The Spitfires lead lead dead on half time.

Bromley started the second half in positive fashion when a Coulson free kick found Winfield whose header was saved and then Mekkis et up Cheek who also saw his header saved by Stryjek.

Eastleigh though were more clinical in front of goal and went 3-1 up on 57minutes when the unmarked Andrew Boyce headed home at the far post from a corner.

From there Mekki went close for Bromley, while at the other Scott Rendell was just off target for Eastleigh, then Ravens striker Ben Williamson was denied a goal against his old side when Stryjek saved his near post drive.

Bromley kept pressing, switching to a back three with Andre Coker coming on and Josh Rees going to left wing back.

Williamson set up Cheek who was also foiled by Stryjek and Frankie Raymond fired narrowly wide from the edge of the box after good work by Coker.

The Ravens kept going forward, Joe Kizzi set up Raymond whose header was tipped over by Stryjek and Winfield shot wide from a corner.

With the clock ticking into injury time Kizzi put a deep cross in to the back post, which Stryjek initially gathered, but he then spilled the ball as he landed and Coker pounced to turn the ball into the net from close range for a debut goal.

It would prove to be just too late for a comeback though as the final whistle came quickly after to end a frustrating afternoon for The Ravens.

The defeat sees Neil Smith’s side stay in third place in the National League as they go into the festive fixtures, starting with a trip Dover Athletic on Boxing Day.

Bromley: Huddart Kizzi Wood (Rees 72) Holland Winfield Coulson Raymond Bingham Mekki (Coker 60) Williamson Cheek. Subs Not Used: Klass Najia Higgs

Eastleigh: Stryjek Partington Atkinson Johnson (Smart 57) Boyce Payne Rendell Barnett (Bearwish 85) Miley Hollands Seaman Subs Not Used: Flitney McKnight Scorey