Patrick Schmidt’s stoppage-time winner secured Barnsley’s first away victory of the season against a lacklustre Millwall at The Den. 


Conor Chaplin opened the scoring for the visitors in the first half before Aiden O’Brien looked to have rescued a point for The Lions three minutes before full time. 


However, substitute Schmidt headed in Luke Thomas’ cross in the 94th minute to ensure that all three-points travelled back to  South Yorkshire. 


Millwall boss Gary Rowett made two changes to the side that won away at Derby, slotting in Shane Ferguson at left-back and Jiri Skalak on the flank for the unwell Murray Wallace and Alex Pearce. 


The Lions started on the front foot and could have easily taken the lead in the 5th minute when Jed Wallace whipped in a teasing delivery which was whiskers away from connecting with Jake Cooper’s outstretched foot. 


Oozing with confidence Rowett’s men maintained the pressure and mustered up two more opportunities before the 15th minute. 


Jayson Molumby had calls for a penalty dismissed by the referee when he went to ground when challenging for Wallace’s scooped the ball over the Barnsley defence before Tom Bradshaw’s header went wide of the post. 


Millwall would then rue their missed opportunities as Barnsley only needed one to take the lead. 


Jacob Brown got the better of Mahlon Romeo down the left-flank and his delivery was met by Chaplin whose first-time effort looped over Bartosz Bialkowski in the 40th minute. 


Chaplin came close to doubling The Tykes’ lead seconds before half time but Bialkowski managed to get a hand to the former Portsmouth striker’s ferociously struck strike. 


Within minutes of the restart, Bialkowski was called upon again to stop Barnsley doubling their lead when he matched Brown’s volley in the 48th minute. 


With a helping hand from the crowd, Rowett’s side began to find their stride again but both Cooper and Bradshaw missed glaring opportunities before the hour mark. 


Rowett hurled on Matt Smith and Aiden O’Brien in an attempt to turn the game on its head and similarly to Charlton and Forest the pair proved to be instrumental. 


With three minutes remaining, O’Brien managed to bundle the ball into the back of the net after Smith cushioned a header into the Irishman’s path. 

However, similarly to the first-half Barnsley proved that they only needed one chance to score and it came when Schmidt headed beyond Bialkowski. 


Millwall: Bialkowski, Romeo, Cooper, Hutchinson, Ferguson, Molumby, Williams, Skalak (O’Brien 60), Wallace, Bradshaw (Mahoney 71), Bodvarsson (Smith 60). 

Subs: Steele, Mitchell, Brown, McCarthy.  

Barnsley: Radlinger, Williams, Diaby, Andersen, Brown, Woodrow (Schmidt 83), Bahre (Thomas 71), Chaplin, Oduor, Halme, Mowatt. 


Subs: Collins, Williams, Sibbick, Styles.