Hopes of improving their poor away form were unfounded as Welling United fell to defeat at Dorking Wanderers.

The absence of Sanchez Ming and Danny Waldren through suspension meant a Welling United debut for Chiori Johnson who bothered the fussy referee immediately due to his wrong coloured under-shorts.

Mark Goldberg’s team were quickest out of the block and Slavomir Huk, the Wanderers’ goalkeeper, made an excellent early double save, first from Anthony Cook and then from Moses Emmanuel on the follow up.

Cook then headed over and continued to trouble the Dorking defence. He was brought down on the edge of the penalty area and took the free kick himself. His execution was good but Huk responded with another outstanding save.

Lewis Taylor was unable to get on the end of a deep delivery at the other end but Welling were soon on the attack again with Bradley Goldberg on target but Huk made a straight-forward stop.

Tom Richards sent a long ball over the top and Jimmy Muitt got on the end of it but fired well over.

However, Welling didn’t make the most of their escape and went behind following some mediocre defending. Having failed to clear they got caught square and gave Muitt time and space to aim and fire into the bottom corner from the right hand side.

They might have equalised almost immediately but Huk made another superb block from Emmanuel.

Daniel Gallagher then did well to pull a deep corner back into the danger area and Dan Wilks had to push it out and a defender complete the clearance.

Matthew Briggs was deemed to have been fouled on the edge of the penalty area by Joe Anderson but Welling’s defensive wall was strong and blocked Tom Richards’ free kick and his follow up.

Jay Rich-Baghuelou replaced the injured Rob Swaine at half time but Dorking were soon on the attack and Muitt had an opportunity to score his second when Gallagher found him in space to advance and shoot from the twenty yards but he was just off target.

James McShane attempted a curler that went beyond the far post then Muitt tried likewise from Matthew Briggs’ pass but his effort went over.

Briggs then gave McShane an opportunity to shoot but he fired across the face of goal before Dorking scored the crucial second goal. Connor Dymond didn’t appear to be under any pressure but his square pass was intercepted by Jack Barham who then had an unchallenged run on goal and he finished clinically.

Dymond and Goldberg were withdrawn immediately with Adam Coombes and Aaron Cosgrave introduced but Dorking continued to probe and might have scored again but Ed Harris was unable to find the target with his header from a deep free kick.

Johnson was then cautioned on debut which appeared very harsh after Gallagher escaped with a warning after a far more robust challenge by Gallagher on Cook was punished with no more than a free kick and a word.

Wilks made a comfortable save from McShane before Welling missed the chance to create a nervy finish for the hosts. Cook delivered a free kick and Coombes got in ahead of Huk but headed just over.

Briggs was picked out by substitute Giuseppe Sole but Wilks made a great block and one more chance came Dorking’s way but Briggs blasted well over.

Welling now have a week to repair their players who are carrying knocks ahead of their game at home to Hemel Hempstead Town.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson, Anderson, Dymond (Cosgrave 60), Swaine (Rich-Baghuelou 46), Okosieme, Widdrington, Agyemang, Emmanuel, Goldberg (Coombes 60), Cook. Subs not used: Green, Anau.