Four goals scored by Korrey Henry helped Welling United to a much needed victory over Braintree Town.

Mark Goldberg switched his line up by bringing Theo Widdrington back into the starting line-up to support Henry and it started to pay dividends immediately.

Widdrington got in behind the Braintree defence in the opening moments but Michael Johnson got down well to save.

Joe Anderson then delivered a free kick that Rob Swaine headed back towards the far post but Johnson turned it round for a corner. Although the delivery was cleared initially, it came out to Widdrington who made space for himself to get a shot away but his deflected effort drew another save out of Johnson.

It came as no surprise when Welling went ahead with still just seven minutes on the clock. Connor Dymond sent in a free kick and Swaine headed it back for Widdrington to force home at the near post. During the scramble, Braintree’s Jack James was injured and he had to be replaced by Charley Baker.

Bromley loanee Henry scored his first, and Welling’s second, with a clean volley after Sanchez Ming’s excellent free kick was headed into his path by Nathan Green.

Another dead ball opportunity produced Welling’s third. Anthony Cook’s free kick didn’t look too threatening until it somehow found it’s way through Johnson. Two minutes later Welling went four up when Henry fired low beyond Johnson as Braintree struggled to clear.

As they continued to press, Welling should probably have gone five up but Widdrington glanced his header wide from Cook’s cross.

Eventually, Braintree started to create some openings and Femi Akinwade made space for himself but his shot came back out off the far post with Rhys Murrell-Williamson unable to force the rebound home.

Jason Banton then clipped the crossbar with a free kick before Henry went on a long run for Welling but shot wide.

Two first half minutes remained when the Iron pulled one back with a well taken goal by Ade Cole and there could have been another in injury time but Dan Wilks made a good save from Banton.

At the break, Goldberg was forced into making a change when the injured Ejiro Okosieme was replaced by Jay Rich-Baghuelou.

Henry completed his hat-trick five minutes after the interval. He went on a long run and rode two fouls before forcing his way into the penalty area. A further foul on him resulted in a penalty being awarded and Henry ignored all distractions before sending Johnson the wrong way and slotting home.

Shortly afterwards, Welling were reduced to ten men. Player-manager Jake Hutchings bundled Widdrington over the wall and a skirmish followed. Once everything settled down, Hutchings and Widdrington were cautioned and Ming was dismissed.

Swaine had a header saved from a Montel Agyemang corner before Braintree reduced the arrears with a well struck goal by Akinwade.

Akinwade created further problems and shot towards the near post before Swaine had a header saved easily at the other end.

Wilks was again called into action when making a stunning tip over from Akinwade before Hutchings headed wide from a Cole corner.

Banton’s long shot drew an easy save out of Wilks but Welling scored the final goal on the counter attack. Aaron Cosgrave went on a long run and played an unselfish ball across to Henry. He checked and went past the last man before firing home an unstoppable shot.

Tyler Christian-Law allowed his frustration to get the better of him when a ridiculous challenge resulted in a red card for him deep into injury time but the contest was over by then.

Next Saturday Welling are again at home when they entertain St Albans City in the F.A. Trophy.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme (Rich-Baghuelou 46), Cook, Agyemang (Waldren 70), Henry, Widdrington, Green (Cosgrave 72). Subs not used: Anau, Goldberg.