Welling United tumbled to another odd goal defeat at Slough Town.

Unsurprisingly, Wings manager Mark Goldberg rang the changes from the team that disappointed on Saturday and included new signing Nnamdi Nwachuku.

In the early stages, the hosts pinged it around but Welling soon found their feet and showed that they were prepared to play their opponents at their own game and started playing some good football.

Montel Agyemang’s clever flick looked to send Nwachuku away but he was adjudged to be just offside.

That continued to be the story for welling as Slough’s well drilled back line continued to frustrate the Welling strikers with their offside trap and neither side managed a goal attempt in the first half an hour.

Warren Harris eventually tried his luck from a very tight angle and drilled it across the face of goal.

A Slough free kick then caused problems but George Wells made a bit of a hash of his shot and it went harmlessly wide of the near post.

Max Worsfold then missed a great chance for Slough when Harris’ shot was blocked out to him but he blasted over from fifteen yards.

Nwachuku registered Welling’s first goal attempt just before the break when he spun on the edge of the area but fired wide of the near post.

Less than one minute of the second half had gone when Slough created a great chance. Worsfold was sent through but Dan Wilks was out quickly and made an excellent block.

Josh Jackman tried a shot from out wide and he hit it cleanly enough but it was misdirected and went well wide.

Matt Lench then connected with a cross but could only float his header into the arms of Wilks.

Ben Harris came on for Slough and was into the game immediately with a header wide before breaking the dead-lock with just over fifteen minutes remaining. Worsfold zipped in a cross and Harris rose to head it and direct it home.

Namesake Warren Harris then came close to doubling the lead when getting on the end of a Worsfold free kick but hitting over before Welling finally came to life.

Connor Dymond registered Welling’s first shot on target for two games but Jack Turner saved comfortably. However, he knew little about his next save. Gavin McCallum crossed and Nathan Green met it first time with a close range volley that Turner made himself big to block it out.

There was still time for Welling to register one more goal attempt when Joe Anderson picked out Jay Rich-Baghuelou but he was unable to keep his header down and their last chance was gone.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Widdrington (Waldren 66), Agyemang (McCallum 80), Cook, Nwachuku (Cosgrave 66), Green. Subs not used: Copeland, Coombes.