Gary Rowett marked his first game as Millwall boss with a victory against his previous employers Stoke City at The Den. 

Ben Thompson and Jed Wallace marked the manger’s first time in the dugout with goals either side of the break which witnessed the Lions beat Stoke for the first time since April 2003. 

Rowett lined his team up in a 4-4-1-1 formation, bringing in Shane Ferguson for Aiden O’Brien on the left flank and reinstated Jayson Molumby to the side after he lost his place to Matt Smith in their midweek draw with Cardiff. 

With their new manager in the dugout, Millwall started the better of the two sides as Nathan Jones’ men were reckless in possession.

Both Jed and Murray Wallace managed to find an opening down Stoke’s right-hand side, which witnessed them both identically cut inside and curl an effort just wide off the post in the opening twenty minutes. 

However, Ben Thompson was not as wasteful when Wallace whipped in a delightful cross for midfielder to volley beyond Adam Federici to open the scoring and his account for the season in the 28thminute. 

The goal failed to shake Stoke into action as Rowett’s men continued to dominate the ball and the hosts nearly gained a second through Shaun Hutchinson but the defender misjudged bounce of the ball which weakened his headed attempt. 

The hosts, however, did have to endure some pressure from The Potters after Jones introduced James McClean at the break which witnessed them evolve into a 4-3-3 formation which injected some well-needed pace into their play. 

Wallace was at the thick of the action again for Millwall as his pace on the break saw him bolt beyond Stoke’s defence and forces a save from Federici after he shot from a tight angle. 

The visitors would have had an equaliser minutes later if it was not for a vital interception from Hutchinson who managed to niggle the ball away from Gregory just seconds before the striker was about to pull the trigger inside the six-yard area. 

After being camped inside their own half Millwall managed to find a second goal after a scintillating 40-yard run from Wallace witnessed the winger covert from 12-yards after Bruno Martins Indi hacked him down inside the box in the 71st minute. 

The goal seemed to deflate Stoke as the hosts worked down the clock by resuming the dominance they experienced in the first half which allowed them to see out the victory. 


Millwall: Bialkowski, Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Romeo, Williams, Molumby, J. Wallace, Thompson, Ferguson (Mahoney, Bradshaw (Bodvarsson 71). 

Subs: Steele, McCarthy, Smith, Pearce, O’Brien. 

Stoke: Federici, Martins Indi (Vokes 75), Lindsay, Batth, Carter-Vickers, Ndiaye, Allen, Clucas, Ince (Campbell 84), Hogan (McClean 45), Gregory.  

Subs: Butland, Ward, Vokes, Cousins, Collins.