There were no goals but Welling United came close to causing an upset with an excellent performance against Eastleigh.

Wings manager Mark Goldberg changed formation and personnel from the team that disappointed against Hampton and Richmond Borough one week earlier and was frustrated not to get the win.

They came out with intent and Jack Jebb gave Anthony Cook the opportunity to drive across the face of goal but Bradley Goldberg was unable to reach it to stab it home.

At the other end Cavaghn Miley played a pass in behind the Welling defence and Tyrone Barnett probably had more time than he thought and his weak flick was fielded by Welling goalkeeper Dan Wilks.

Barnett then headed wide from a Jack Payne long throw before Scott Rendell brought a long pass down well and found Barnett but his first touch was heavy allowing a defender to block.

However, Welling were soon back on the attack and Sanchez Ming went on a great run before firing across the face of goal and Max Stryjek made made an excellent save. A goalmouth scramble followed and it came out to Danny Waldren who let fly and although a deflection took some of the pace off, it still took a good save by Stryjek to keep it out.

Again, Ming threatened on the right and his deep cross picked out Joe Anderson whose downward header was well saved by Strynek.

Just before half time Anderson sent in a dangerous cross and Adam Coombes came in late but it was just out of his reach and he couldn’t touch it home.

After the break, Eastleigh had a decent spell and Rendell sprung the offside trap but Ejiro Okosieme got back well to make a crucial block. Barnett then headed wide from Payne’s corner.

Danny Hollands flashed a volley over after a cross was headed out but after that Welling had the better of things.

Rendell was cautioned for a heavy tackle on Connor Dymond before Welling won a corner and Jebb picked out Waldren but he headed well wide.

Rob Swaine delivered a deep cross and Coombes threw himself at it but was unable to complete a diving header.

Then came a massive moment. Anthony Cook went on a long run and burst in the penalty area where he was felled but after a moment’s consideration, the referee decided not to award the spot kick.

Stryjek made another save from a Coombes low drive after Jebb played him in then Cook collected a further Jebb pass and cut in before firing wide.

Against the run of play, Miley drove just past the far post.

As the game went into injury time Coombes had an appeal for a penalty but it was waved away then in the final minute, Goldberg burst clear but his shot was blocked when he had an option to square to Coombes.

Now, Welling travel to Eastleigh on Tuesday night with a place in the first round at stake.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson (Green 84), Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Jebb (Widdrington 84)), Waldren, Goldberg, Coombes, Green. Subs not used: Copeland, Rich-Baghuelou, Agyemang, Oyinsan, Ryan.