Brentford scored three goals in the final six minutes as they came from two goals down to win 3-2 at Griffin Park.

Ollie Watkins scored the winner deep in stoppage time to rectify a first-half penalty miss.

Tom Bradshaw and a Jed Wallace penalty put Millwall ahead before goals from substitutes Josh Dasilva and Bryan Mbeumo looked to have salvaged a point for Thomas Franks men.

With seconds remaining Brentford’s Watkins tapped home past the helpless Bartosz Bialkowski who wasn’t deserving to be on the losing side.

Busy Start

The Bees started brightly and would’ve been ahead inside five minutes had it not been for Millwalls’s Bialkowski saving Mathias Jensen’s point-blank volley after Said Benrahma’s delightful through ball.  

Comfortable in possession as you’d expect, Brentford created another opportunity on 11-minutes but Nikos Karelis’s left-footed effort rebounded off the post into the grateful arms of Bialkowski.  

Stuart Attwell awarded Brentford a penalty on 23 minutes, judging Shaun Hutchinson to have pulled Henrik Dalsgaard to the ground from a corner.

Watkins, facing a boisterous wall of travelling support, saw his thumping effort superbly saved by the busy Bialkowski before clearing.

The home side dominated a frustrating first half which saw the visiting keeper deny Dalsgaard and Benrahama once more.

To compound their frustration Keralis left the field on a stretcher moments before Bradshaw prodded home the opener.

David Raya could only parry Jayson Molumby’s deflected effort into the path of the Welshman who couldn’t miss from three-yards out.

Early Equaliser?

Brentford thought they’d levelled the scoreline five minutes after the break, but Watkins was one again denied, this time by the off-side flag.

Watkins’ day went from bad to worse as he was then adjudged to have fouled Murray Wallace at a corner.

Jed Wallace sending Raya the wrong way from the spot to give the visitors an unlikely, but deserved, two-goal cushion.

Frustration grew for the home side as well as those in the stands as their usual flowing football was contained by a well-organised Lions back-line anchored by the excellent Hutchinson and Jake Cooper.

Brentford were wasteful when their chances came, Watkins and Jensen guilty in possession, while Bialkowski once again thwarted the Bees, this time denying Rico Henry from close range.

There was hope with six minutes to go as substitute Dasilva drilled his effort low past the shot-stopper from the edge of the box.

Hope of a draw turned to that of three points as Mbeumo’s left footed efforted took a wicked deflection off Murray Wallace leaving the outstanding Millwall keeper no chance.

With second remaining Brentford completed the unthinkable.

Mbeumo squaring after a swift counter to find Watkins who’s afternoon finished on a high as he tapped home to complete the comeback.


Referee: Stuart Atwell

Moment Of The Match:

Bryan Mbeumo's equaliser gave the home side the beleif they could go on to win the tie.

Man Of The Match:

Bartosz Bialkowsi didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Could do little with each goal.



Brentford: Raya, Henry, Jeanvier, Jansson, Dalsgaard, Norgaard(Dasilva 71’), Jensen (Valencia 80’), Mokotjo, Karelis(Mbeumo 44’),  Watkins, Benrahma

Subs: Daniels, Pinnock, Dasilva, Valencia, Mbeumo, Clarke, Zamburek

Millwall: Bialkowski, Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Romeo, Williams, Molumby (Dadi-Bodvarsson 72’), Thompson, Wallace, Ferguson, Bradshaw

Subs: Steele, McCarthy, Smith, Pearce, Mahoney, O’Brien, Dadi Bodvarsson